Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back seats folded down for long trip ok despite weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those with and S, is there any risk of damaging / deforming the back seats by folding them down and leaving a lot of weight on them for an extended period of time? I’m driving an S cross country with a set of winter wheels with tires in the hatch. Paranoid that the seats will get mangled by having them compressed for two days with a couple hundred pounds of weight on them. Thanks

How is having a couple hundred pounds on them any different that having two large adults sitting in the backseat for a long trip? The seats being folded should actually distribute the weight better than placing a large object into the seat. I know many people that have traveled with their back seat down to 'sleep' in the back and I've never heard of any comments of people have deformation to the seats.

While I've not done what you are doing for a long range, multi-day trip, I have hauled a fair amount of cargo in the back of my MS with the back seat folded and have never had any issues. I would probably make sure that the seat belts are retracted back fully and not getting caught, but otherwise, personally I think you're overthinking it. Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
It is possible to deform the back of the seat by having hundreds of pounds pressing down on a few square inches. However, if the weight is evenly distributed, there won't be a problem. If you are worried about the former, you could lay down a sheet of plywood first.

Reactions: Littlefinger9
Upvote 0