Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back seats too low?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was watching this video and it seemed like the rear seats are very low, forcing your thighs to be slanted rather than parallel to the seat. Is this how they are in the Model S too?

I have not had hands-on with the M3, but my suspicion is that the seats are not low. If you measure h-point to ground or to the beltline it may be quite typical. The packaging engineers would not have wanted to create the sensation for rear seat occupants of "sitting in a hole". However, due to the battery pack thickness, the floor may be higher in the footwell area, forcing the knees up and creating the thigh angle you noticed. Speculation until the car gets here...

@Big-T

Man up.....What are you disagreeing with?

I'm disagreeing that the solution would be to sit in the middle seat. A bench seat should basically the same height at any of the three seating positions, or close enough it shouldn't matter. The actual solution would be for Tesla to raise the seats a little (if they're actually low).

EDIT: I measured the height of my rear seats from the floor pan to the front of the rear seat, it's about 14.5" - it doesn't look like the model 3 is lower than that from the photos. My car (08 lancer is surprisingly similar in interior measurements to the model 3, just narrower.) I'm 6'0" tall and my legs are ok in the back of my car...had to sit back there just now to see:)

Last edited:
I'm disagreeing that the solution would be to sit in the middle seat. A bench seat should basically the same height at any of the three seating positions, or close enough it shouldn't matter. The actual solution would be for Tesla to raise the seats a little (if they're actually low).

EDIT: I measured the height of my rear seats from the floor pan to the front of the rear seat, it's about 14.5" - it doesn't look like the model 3 is lower than that from the photos. My car (08 lancer is surprisingly similar in interior measurements to the model 3, just narrower.) I'm 6'0" tall and my legs are ok in the back of my car...had to sit back there just now to see:)
Having the middle seat higher is very smart. That way people won't have to share hip room. Why "SHOULD" a bench seat have the same height all of the way across?

So you are disagreeing because you don't think the middle seat "should" have the same height as the other 2 seats. Really?

Marfan Syndrome. Abraham Lincoln and my daughter have it. OCD Joe is not typical of the average male physique and no conclusions just be drawn from his video.
Hmm, missing some typical Marfan symptoms though …
His kind of physique is not uncommon over here, so for me as a dutch person, he is a perfect "measure" to get an impression how the car will accomodate the passengers :)

This was the projected design of the rear seats of the Model 3. Look like it might not have made it to the Model 3.

Look at this Model S's rear seat......the middle one is higher and a little forward of the others. That way.......hips don't have to share the same space in the back.

Not only do I want White seats in my Model 3.....I want that carpet also.

I know you guys thought I was joking.

Last edited:
Floor is VERY high. My calves are touching the seat and I'd estimate no more than 8" from rear floor deck to top of seat.

Her's me at 6' 2" sitting as 'normal' as I can in the back seat. My thighs are probably more than 45 degrees

Attachments

• IMG_9979.jpg
    IMG_9979.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_9980.jpg
    IMG_9980.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 193