Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back speakers and Sub not working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The front woofers are 8”, while the rear are 4”. So there’s your answer.

There is a large subwwoofer hidden behind the liner in the right rear trunk area.
Sound playing in the rear of the car should be producing loud low frequency sound from the subwoofer.
rear-sub.png

There is a large subwwoofer hidden behind the liner in the right rear trunk area.
Sound playing in the rear of the car should be producing loud low frequency sound from the subwoofer.
View attachment 376139
I don't believe the subwoofer output is affected by balance/fade settings. Could be wrong.
I was replying to the comment about the front and rear speakers, specifically. I consider the subwoofer as neither, even though it resides in the trunk.

My understanding is that the amp in the back (you can see the heatsink fins in that picture) mounted next to the subwoofer powers all of the rear speakers.
The 2 rear door speakers, the 2 rear deck speakers (over the "trunk") and the subwoofer. When balance is set to rear bias, all 5 of those should be playing.
The front door speakers can put out a lot of "mid-bass" so you do hear a lot of bass coming from the front.
The subwoofer is supposed to play "sub-bass" with some overlap with the front door speakers, but also down to even lower frequencies.
Unless your music has sub-bass in the ~30-50hz range, you may not notice if there is a lack of subwoofer output as the front door speakers will still be covering most things.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the amp in the back (you can see the heatsink fins in that picture) mounted next to the subwoofer powers all of the rear speakers.
The 2 rear door speakers, the 2 rear deck speakers (over the "trunk") and the subwoofer. When balance is set to rear bias, all 5 of those should be playing.
The front door speakers can put out a lot of "mid-bass" so you do hear a lot of bass coming from the front.
The subwoofer is supposed to play "sub-bass" with some overlap with the front door speakers, but also down to even lower frequencies.
Unless your music has sub-bass in the ~30-50hz range, you may not notice if there is a lack of subwoofer output as the front door speakers will still be covering most things.
The amp pictured also powers the front door woofers, just FYI.

I see what you’re saying with regards to bass output from sub vs woofers, and suspect it’s confusing the issue for many. I don’t have this issue myself, so just trying to throw whatever knowledge I have out there, in case it can help someone.

I was simply trying to point out to someone that experiencing more “full” sounds from the front vs the back is perfectly nornal, given the size of the speakers.

I don’t know for sure whether fading all the way to the front eliminates the subwoofer or not. It really shouldn’t.

Hmm, well, I have my subwoofer visible, so I just checked that and it was still moving with the balance set all the way forward.

Is your OEM subwoofer still powered or are you only running your aftermarket one? I'm curious if removing the "cover" on the OEM subwoofer makes a difference in sound quality or volume.

Is your OEM subwoofer still powered or are you only running your aftermarket one? I'm curious if removing the "cover" on the OEM subwoofer makes a difference in sound quality or volume.

I run one or the other. My OEM sub box is still there unchanged. I just unplug it from the amp when I plug in my aftermarket sub-speaker instead.

The stock sub works well when the rear seats backs are folded down. The aftermarket sub works better when the rear seat-backs are folded up.

This just happened today.

Playing a song from USB ... received a call and boom speakers in rear and side now out with popping sounds .... if I move balance to front no popping sound only low quality music.
Phone call and audio voice command no longer works... interesting I found this and it’s happening to others.

Did hard reboot several times hoping over night it goes away....

Was plugged into a Supercharger today and listening to music off my USB stick when, for about a second, all speakers except for the front left tweeter went out. Then everything went back to normal. Don't know what to make of it but it's the first time that the sound system cut out like that.

I've experienced this bug at least twice already. Both of the times, it happened under the same general condition: I was streaming music, then I was on my phone through Bluetooth, finished talking, hung up, streaming music resumes playing. When music resumes plauing, I've noticed the sound has no bass. Turns out that when I played with the sound distribution, I found out that the rear and the subwoofer was virtually inaudible. Only the front speakers worked. I have already filed a bug report about this.

This just happened today.

Playing a song from USB ... received a call and boom speakers in rear and side now out with popping sounds .... if I move balance to front no popping sound only low quality music.
Phone call and audio voice command no longer works... interesting I found this and it’s happening to others.

Did hard reboot several times hoping over night it goes away....

Glad to report the issue fixed itself. The car was parked for 1.5 days and I did charge it a bit , so not sure what caused it to fix.

I must say it was alarming the day it happened and how it wouldn’t come back with numerous reboots and letting it sit at the time.