Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back to a "Meh" experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a follow-up to my original post:
First Tesla - "Meh" experience so far

First, I'd like to thank whoever saw my earlier post a took care of the issues I mentioned! I truly appreciate it.

Unfortunately my dealings with Tesla over the past few days have brought me back to feeling like I'm buying a car from a traditional dealership.

Basically I noticed that numerous inventory S75s have been discounted to S60 prices and I contacted my owner advisor about switching to an inventory car or at least getting the destination fee dropped from mine. Something, to make my car less of a rotten deal in comparison to the reduced S75s, some of which are now cheaper than my non-autopilot S60.

Tesla wouldn't budge one bit. No transfer without losing the $2500 and no dropping the destination fee on my car. I just don't see the reasoning behind them not transferring the $2500 when A) the inventory car I was looking at cost more than my S60 and B) all they're going to do is upgrade my S60 to a S75 and toss it into the inventory pool at a reduced S75 price.

I realize they don't owe me anything but I feel like they should be more cooperative. I'm honestly quite tempted to push my delivery to the first week of Oct instead of the 28th of September. The 28th was going to be a major pain since I'll be returning from a overseas trip late on the 27th and going on a shorter domestic trip the 29th. I agreed to that date initially because I believe in Tesla and wanted to help them with a Q3 sale. Now I definitely do not feel inclined to help them. Meh.

I hate to say this, but forgetting principles for a moment (because I think you are right and they are wrong here), if you can really find an inventory car that meets you needs and is less money than your car counting your deposit loss than I would just do it.

Of course you do have principles, and Tesla should too, and you would think that reasonable parties could figure this out.

I hope something good can happen, because I'd consider walking away from the deal on principle alone in this case. Even if it cost $2,500.

I found an inventory S 75 that has the same options as my built S 60, but slightly higher. I spoke to Tesla and they said I can transfer my deposit ($2500) + waive the doc/dest fee + referral credit with ease. I decided not to pull the trigger. Is there any inventory cars available to your liking at the same location you will be picking up your custom order?

Yes, there are inventory cars that are comparable. They lack the premium package but I'd be fine with that if the $2500 transfered.

I'm going to take a day or two decide whether I even want this car at this point. However, I am definitely not going out of my way for a September delivery if they won't work with me buy at least dropping the doc/destination fee.

I felt just like you, but was able to make a call and complain a bit to at least get them to waive the destination and doc fee. I still feel like these bonus discounts are essentially "costing" me a few thousand $ that I hadn't counted on. At the end of the day, my car will cost about $1k per year more than someone else with the same exact car when I likely go to sell it in 5-7 years. At least they gave me the 1,200 for the destination fee, otherwise I was definitely going to defer to October just on principle.

I felt just like you, but was able to make a call and complain a bit to at least get them to waive the destination and doc fee. I still feel like these bonus discounts are essentially "costing" me a few thousand $ that I hadn't counted on. At the end of the day, my car will cost about $1k per year more than someone else with the same exact car when I likely go to sell it in 5-7 years. At least they gave me the 1,200 for the destination fee, otherwise I was definitely going to defer to October just on principle.
Is everyone going to DSyp try to get destination waived or directly to tesla sales?

I feel the same way. Ive been asking if they can do something for me but they wont budge. They did give me the destination fee waiver, which is what pushed me over the edge to order. I was holding off but now I wish I waited a little bit longer. You should definitely get the destination fee waiver at the very least.

I feel the same way. Ive been asking if they can do something for me but they wont budge. They did give me the destination fee waiver, which is what pushed me over the edge to order. I was holding off but now I wish I waited a little bit longer. You should definitely get the destination fee waiver at the very least.
Who was it your DS? When in the process was it?

Who was it your DS? When in the process was it?
I tried talking to my sales guy and my DS and they both wouldnt budge. Maybe I have to ask a person higher up, I dont think they can make the decision. It was a day before I got the email that my car was in production.

Maybe Ill tell them Im thinking about canceling my order and see what that does.

Everything else aside, Tesla is in the position where they simply cannot build them fast enough. So they have no motivation to be flexible to meet your needs. I don't like or agree with it at all. But I totally get it. I hate to say it, but if I were in their position running the place, I probably would do the same as my duty as an employee. I used to be in that position in tech companies. I moved from for profit to non profit at 40 and now never have to deal with those integrity issues. I simply couldn't do it any more.

And boy, am I a better person for the change.

Reactions: ggnykk and decrypt
I get it that they don't owe me anything. I just think that if they want to say they are unlike traditional car dealerships then they need to act like it.

I've just sent my DS an email telling him to bump delivery to the first week of October. If they don't want to work with me on my deal while they are discounting S75 to S60 prices then I feel no need to go out of my way to give them a Q3 delivery.