Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back to an ICE car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel your pain every time I go out of town and rent a car. Waiting for it to accelerate alone drives me crazy. The gear changing, the noise, its all too much. I'll be glad when all cars are EV, and travel won't have this painful aspect to it.

I still like our RX450h. It serves a purpose and everything works.

I also love my Model S.

I don't know if that really counts as a proper annoying ICE car. With electric motors driving both axles, you presumably get a lot of the EV's off the line acceleration and instant response - and I know you won't have idling engines or transmission shifts to deal with.

I'm a huge Tesla fan and love mine. For DD transportation there is nothing that compares.

However there's still a place for ICE cars - I just picked up a GT4 for track use and it's nearly perfect in its own way. Just a totally different purpose than simply transportation.

After more than two months with my Model S, I was forced to drive a Lexus RX 350 today. I used to think the Lexus was a pretty good car.

What an awful experience! I hated all two hours I was in the car.

I'm completely spoiled with my Tesla. It's better in nearly every way.

Haha, I felt the same way when I had to drive my 09' Odyssey, I felt like I was driving a refrigerator box! It's roomy, almost an inefficient waste of space....ugly buttons all over the dashboard, load, numb steering, loud car and engine. The S has spoiled me, hard to drive ICE cars without noticing the shortcomings!

I can't relate. All I have are ICE cars. While I don't mind getting my hands dirty working on the oily parts, I am impatiently waiting for my M3. Model S test drive next week already scheduled.

Don't take the test drive! It will either make the wait for the M3 more unbearable, or will make your reservation superfluous as you will plunk down the money for an MS. ;-0

You say it is better in nearly every way. In what way is the Lexus better than the Tesla? Is there something that can be improved on?

First off, i'm waiting for the S to have a 95kwh and AP 2.0...Then i'm ordering. So, i'm a fan...

This question was not directed to me but, allow me to give my opinion...

Reliability.... I have a Lexus RX400H with 514 K miles.
Giving this to my daughter on Friday.
Too many examples to state for Tesla. Make your own list. : )

Initial quality is better on the Lexus. My opinion is based on what i've seen in the showroom, the yard, and what I have read in the forums.
1. 2013 LS460 F sport.. Not an issue.
2. 2013 GS450 H. Not an issue.
3. 2007 RX400h. Not an issue.

The quality of materials used on the interior are better on the Lexus. This could just be a preference but I think not.
The seats in the 514k car are nearly pristine. Pictures upon request.

Service.
Never have had to wait more than a day for a part. Never mind what the part may be.
They have all the colors for touch up too. :)

The LS460 spl at 70mph is 59/60 DB...The MS is the same.

The rest comes down to experience.
I, too, can forget how to drive from one car to another. The LS has radar and the RX does not. Better be ready to use the brakes on the RX.

Regards,
Marc

I guess it depends on the ICE. I am stuck in a Corolla for a work business trip right now, and that thing is awful. But I still like my Tacoma when I drive it. I guess because it is used for such a different purpose (hauling dirty things, driving off-road, towing crap) that I just associate it with a utility vehicle, not a comfy daily driver.

Besides, when I get the truck out, it often means we are going somewhere fun off the beaten path, so I associate its engine rumble with that. :)

Reactions: Chopr147
Don't take the test drive! It will either make the wait for the M3 more unbearable, or will make your reservation superfluous as you will plunk down the money for an MS. ;-0
I'm already thinking of that possibility :)

XXSLAMXX, Are you saying your RX400H has 514,000 miles on it?
I agree with you about the Lexus quality. My wife's last 3 cars have been a Lexus. 3 year leases. I love driving her car. Great smooth quiet ride. And the S interior can use an upgrade in my opinion, looking at the ones in the showroom.

I can't relate. All I have are ICE cars. While I don't mind getting my hands dirty working on the oily parts, I am impatiently waiting for my M3. Model S test drive next week already scheduled.

That test drive's gonna ruin ya :). Enjoy!

After the test drive, it will help to arrange test drives every few months for interested friends with the caveat that you get to go with. Helps with the withdrawal symptoms during the wait for the Model 3 (or perhaps a used Model S since they're starting to drop into the $40Ks, which means $30Ks soon - as a bridge car... for medicinal purposes).

I'm already thinking of that possibility :)

XXSLAMXX, Are you saying your RX400H has 514,000 miles on it?
I agree with you about the Lexus quality. My wife's last 3 cars have been a Lexus. 3 year leases. I love driving her car. Great smooth quiet ride. And the S interior can use an upgrade in my opinion, looking at the ones in the showroom.

Yes. The RX400H has 514K miles. Same engine. Same two electric motors
Same transmission...
Regards