Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back to square 1.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you are in a similar situation as us then with electrical load. I remember your install photos of your backyard and would be hard pressed to want to lose that tree too. The weight of that one branch may give way at some time though. Hopefully our years of drought will see the tree come through healthy. Increased pests during drought can be a factor too. We have two mature mule palms that flank our dining pergola (designed landscape for the placement) and know we’d hate to lose one or both of those not only for the large canopy shade but aesthetics.
Regarding the branch, if you look at the fence you can see the new segment of fencing that replaces the segment taken out in the last branch fall. This tree was trimmed in the Spring, but I gather they can only take so much off without damaging the tree. The city's horticulturist came out and would not let them trim it back any further. The tree does get water since there are sprinklers all over the hill. And right behind the fence is a small creek between our yard and the tree's twin.

Thanks,
8kw would probably just cover my current usage. Hence the reason for the redesign to 10kw. But i recall reading recommendations to invest in more panels vs PWs given the option.
If you are not worried about outages that is correct. More panels will let you send more power back to the grid, so will offset your grid usage. However, any excess production beyond offsetting your use is paid at a very low rate (0.04/kWh or so). So it is hard to make a financial case for getting too extreme with excess solar production.

Also, in the last 3 years, we have experience in the Tri-Valley more power outages than we have ever had. And when your power is NOT out while others are out, the cost of Powerwalls quickly seems very reasonable. One other thing is that with only one Powerwall you may need to limit your backup to a new critical loads panel that would not have things like HVAC, oven, and dryer

I cancelled my original 8.16 design and i think the final plan will be an 8.5kw and 2 PWs. Im going to wait until tonight or tomorrow to place the order just to let things settle in my brain. I do wish i could get 9-10kw but im not going to mess with it and just go cookie cutter. Im going to go with tesla 2.99% rate; my limited search hasnt found anything better.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset