Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back to square one!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, after nearly a month of going back and forth with executive support, we got them to agree to remove V9 from our car and revert back to the previous version.

They started with the usual "this is impossible" nonsense. We pointed out that if they looked at the service history on our car, they would see that a previous update had to be removed and rolled back to an earlier build.

They tried to tell us all our problems were solved with the release of 42.2, which they weren't. We even showed them them the statement directly from the manager at our local dealership and service center confirming they COULD undo the update, but only for "technical/safety issue" OR with "specific direction".

I received an e-mail saying they would coordinate a time with our local service center to get this done and we would hear from them soon.

2 weeks of silence.

Follow up and ask when this appointment can be set... and a new person responds to the thread with a cut and paste repeating the initial lie that it is impossible to put back the previous software version.

So... now I get to start all over again.

...Tesla isn't going to roll you back...

Yes, Tesla did roll back the software from V9 to V8 for

dameyersman | October 19, 2018
Screaming and yelling worked.

PS. They CAN roll it back.

dameyersman | October 19, 2018
When a company tries to screw you, you need to learn to not sit back and take their abuse. The people who are willing to just let a company downgrade their vehicles cracks me up.

PS: It's SOFTWARE.

What is the problem, exactly?

Current version 9 is not pro-choice.

Pre-V9, I could do this according to my choice: Camera on the top half and browser (running TeslaWinds.com) on the bottom half below:

ueevftz.jpg

Now, with V9, that kind of choice is not allowed. Maybe V9 tries to be pro-life so I can still have camera on the top but the bottom must be media player and can not be a browser, phone, energy consumption...

That kind of anti-pro-choice principle has been implemented to Model 3 since its inception due to its cheaper price and a smaller screen that has to accommodate instrument clusters as well.

Model S and X does not suffer the low price problem nor the small screen problem nor overcrowding with instrument clusters on its 17" screen so pro-choice was possible prior to V9.

It's just software, not physical controls that Tesla can claim that it can't be pro-choice.

Yawn... The level of whining and complaining it would take wouldn't be even remotely worth it unless your sense of entitlement is staggeringly high. The future is forward, not backwards, but I suppose if you kick and scream like a toddler enough, you eventually get what you want...

Jeff

Tesla has rolled it back for other people. I know of multiple people who have had it rolled back, but it has all been due to significant problems caused by V9 during the upload. (functions in the car completely stopped working). They had it removed and were told to connect it to wi-fi when they got home to get the update again. (none of them have upgraded) This is what led me to the manager of the dealership where I bought the car, who confirmed to me that "firmware can be rolled back if there is a technical/safety issue" or by "specific direction". I also know someone who is currently fighting with Tesla over warranty service because Tesla is refusing to do warranty service until they upgrade, which they are 100% refusing to do and since they bought their car in 2016, software upgrades are NOT required in their warranty. I bought mine in September 2017 so software upgrades are not required in my warranty either.

I WILL get this rolled back. Promise. Once I do, the car will not see a wi-fi connection again.

And yes, when I pay six figures after tax for a car, I feel entitled to keep the car I purchased and not have it replaced with a vastly inferior car.

....suppose if you kick and scream like a toddler enough, you eventually get what you want...

It's great that many S / X owners enjoy the function of newly 8 camera activation in exchange for the Model 3 format choice restriction.

However, those who have no cameras (classic Model S) and 1 camera (Model S and X with AP1), I am not sure the loss of user interface configuration is a good trade-off.

Indeed! It's been well documented on Tesla's official website that screaming did work for one owner.

Now, there are about more than 500 other petitioners waiting in turn for the problem to be fixed.

Tesla has rolled it back for other people. I know of multiple people who have had it rolled back, but it has all been due to significant problems caused by V9 during the upload. (functions in the car completely stopped working). They had it removed and were told to connect it to wi-fi when they got home to get the update again. (none of them have upgraded) This is what led me to the manager of the dealership where I bought the car, who confirmed to me that "firmware can be rolled back if there is a technical/safety issue" or by "specific direction". I also know someone who is currently fighting with Tesla over warranty service because Tesla is refusing to do warranty service until they upgrade, which they are 100% refusing to do and since they bought their car in 2016, software upgrades are NOT required in their warranty. I bought mine in September 2017 so software upgrades are not required in my warranty either.

I WILL get this rolled back. Promise. Once I do, the car will not see a wi-fi connection again.

And yes, when I pay six figures after tax for a car, I feel entitled to keep the car I purchased and not have it replaced with a vastly inferior car.

LOL... I mean seriously, just wow... You have the exact same car you purchased unless you're going to start claiming Tesla elves are sneaking into the car at night to change paint colors, interior options, battery size, etc...

These cars are largely software so I understand 100% why software version matters with warranty work and I encourage Tesla to keep holding the line. Every car that gets rolled back because of some whining, entitled, owner inhibits the company to devote software resources to the current known bugs and planned new features because they have to keep maintaining a legacy code base.

Again, just wow...

Jeff

It's great that many S / X owners enjoy the function of newly 8 camera activation in exchange for the Model 3 format choice restriction.

However, those who have no cameras (classic Model S) and 1 camera (Model S and X with AP1), I am not sure the loss of user interface configuration is a good trade-off.

Indeed! It's been well documented on Tesla's official website that screaming did work for one owner.

Now, there are about more than 500 other petitioners waiting in turn for the problem to be fixed.

Software changes, it just does. It's absurd to maintain different code bases. Tesla is already constrained enough as it is and I'd much rather these software engineering resources be devoted to fixing bugs and adding features than trying to keep a very small minority of entitled owners happy...

Jeff

Software changes, it just does. It's absurd to maintain different code bases. Tesla is already constrained enough as it is and I'd much rather these software engineering resources be devoted to fixing bugs and adding features than trying to keep a very small minority of entitled owners happy...

Jeff
Luckily, this is not your call to make.

Other companies understand how to maintain support on multiple code bases. Tesla will have to learn to figure it out if they want to play in the big leagues.

Other companies understand how to maintain support on multiple code bases. Tesla will have to learn to figure it out if they want to play in the big leagues.

Your level of entitlement is absolutely off the charts... You're okay with holding a company hostage so you can get what you want? Pathetic... Apparently there's something about the idea that Tesla is resource constrained that you don't understand...

You're damn right that it's not my call to make, because if it were, I'd take a substantially harder line on this than Tesla is currently taking. Owners like you aren't worth it.

Jeff

...resource constrained that you don't understand...

1) Tesla has already proven that it could roll back from V9 to V8. There's no scientific explanation that it cannot be done.

2) Tesla software has a long history of being able to keep track and deal with so many different car configurations: 40 kWh or 60 kWh or 75 kWh restriction by software, Model S that didn't pay $2,000 for Supercharger Access and those did, Classic Model S that can automatically open a garage door while AP1 can be summoned out of a closed garage door, AP2 hardware owners who only paid AP1 price and not AP2 price...

Tesla can do it! It just needs an owner who is good at screaming to motivate Tesla to do it!

Last edited:
Your level of entitlement is absolutely off the charts... You're okay with holding a company hostage so you can get what you want? Pathetic... Apparently there's something about the idea that Tesla is resource constrained that you don't understand...

You're damn right that it's not my call to make, because if it were, I'd take a substantially harder line on this than Tesla is currently taking. Owners like you aren't worth it.

Jeff

So this "resource constrained" company had enough resources to completely rework the UI and add arcade games that no one wanted along with a completely non functional 360 view complete with little people?

The Fanbois make me laugh.

I think you forgot what side of the equation you are on. You are CUSTOMER, meaning they have to please you, not the other way around.

Tesla is not unique with this issue. The history of software updates is rife with people complaining that the new software made changes they did not like, as they were familiar with the previous versions.

Not everybody is happy with every update. Apple and Microsoft are legendary for customers that rue the day they upgraded to the latest version. Usually soon after the negative feedback a further tweek of the new system is offered to resolve the more onerous complaints (but not always).

Sometimes new software will negatively effect some legacy accessories. People complained loudly when their older printers or software would not be compatible with the new stuff. Many older programers never wanted to give up their ancient DOS programs, as their entire lives were invested there.

Most companies are on a path. Sometimes the next step along that path will seem backwards to many, but in the longer term the path take you into a better future, even with some mis-steps along the way.

There are always going to be some complainers along the developmental path. They will demand LOUDLY that things must always remain the way that they were comfortable with. They will dig in their heels, some rightly so, and demand that things be put back the way they were before the upgrades changes.

Tesla has always given me the option to upgrade or not. I need to push an accept button to schedule an upgrade at a time of my choosing. We are not given all the details of what the new upgrade will include, but at least we know that the path is forward.

While I feel that the OPs posts sound petty, I am pretty sure that he feel entitled to his demands. He is not the first to feel that a product "improvement" is not to his liking and hope he can quietly work things out with the manufacturer.

This reminds me of when Microsoft required me to click on START in order to close down my machine. Seemed strange to me, but most of us were able to adapt.

You are probably right, updates are not required to perform maintenance.
So, they should be able to do maintenance on the vehicle with old software.

BUT, it IS within their rights to upgrade the car during maintenance, as part of the maintenance process. All manufacturers do it. I believe that it is often required by law to implement odd and end safety/maintenance features.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and neroden

Yep, Google understands it, that's why they support their phone up to 3 years. Oh yea, phones actually do live longer than that. Maybe you should get Google to change their ways and Tesla may follow.

Also, can you name any vehicle manufacturers that do support multiple forks?

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and neroden
I don't have a major problem with v9, but then I don't do any of the things people don't like about it. I don't use the backup camera except when I'm backing up. So few things worthwhile work on the browser that I don't use that. I have the music app open when I am playing music, otherwise I close it. I live in a rural area, and I like having the Nav as the main focus.

My biggest issue is with the predicted SOC at arrival is only displayed on the zoomed-out full trip map and goes away when you are at a level where you can actually drive. I don't find that "vastly inferior".

Reactions: P85_DA and outdoors