Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back to square one!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A roll-back button would let users try a version, and decide if it was for them or their previous installed version was better.

The user could self-declare any version witnessed on their car as the stable base they prefer, simply by rejecting newer offered updates.

It should also be made clear to the owner (each time they reject or revert) that anything less than version N-1 is deprecated software and may reduce or remove Tesla's ability to honor warranty of the car, and its features, or to perform hardware or software maintenance.

Customer has their choice, they're informed, they get to try new stuff or go back to a comfort zone. Just make it clear that Telsa is not maintaining the old software, the owner is - as object code only.

Welll...... the customer is not completely informed... because of poor release notes. To make an informed decision release notes have to spell out the implications of not accepting. Such as these, samples I dreamed up:

For all models:

This release contains improvements to battery management to ensure or extend the expected life of the battery pack, by regulating temperature using modified parameters to trigger battery heating and cooling. The new parameters can consume more energy from the battery and may reduce range in colder climate conditions. Not accepting this change may shorten the life of your battery and remove warranty of the battery in cold climate areas.

This release contains security improvements that offers new features you can select to prevent thieves from keyfob spoofing to drive the vehicle away. The new PIN function asks the driver for a code that only you know before the vehicle can be driven. Not accepting this releases removes Tesla from claims related to anti-theft protection in the event your car is stolen by driving it away.

For Model S:

This release removes user access to switching the air ionizer on and off (if equipped). The ionizer will remain set in its current state for the life of the car, and should be set accordingly before applying this update. Not accepting the update leaves the user access and feature working as it does.

For Model 3:

This release adds enhanced cold weather usability of the vehicle for door entry and exit. Window drop before opening and after closing the door has timing and travel amounts changed to better accommodate iced up conditions that interfere with door opening. Not accepting this update can result in door and vehicle trim contact with window glass and resulting damage.

Because your software is older, this release also contains the cumulative changes of all versions leading up to this release. Please see all release notes of those versions if accepting this update at www.tesla.com/releases for that information and have your VIN handy.

Do you accept? INSTALL DEFER​

Last edited:
I think a main underlying issue is that Tesla needs to mature in sorting out 3 categories of changes, and handing how they're done and managed in their deployment.

1. warranty and safety related
2. security related
3. convenience

The problem now is they lump all this together as one release. Desired security feature comes with broken convenience items, and we're sitting here to decide if the damage is tolerable enough to get the wanted benefits.

They should have a stream of warranty related updates. Could make a clear statement about having to maintain these, or even make them a condition of warranty to remain current on these. e.g. brakes software for shorter stopping distances. e.g. performance parameters that affect longevity.

A separate stream of security related. Ones that change the liability posture of parties involved, manufacturer, insurer, owner. Giving you optionality to install if they are owner and insurer related. But maybe forcing ones that are primarily Tesla affecting. e.g. PIN to drive (your option)... e.g. strong encryption on fobs and module-to-module communication (forced)

Convenience and "everything else". Even if they change the behavior or operation of things about the car, so long as it's not warranty, safety, security related. All of these are your option. e.g. whole new UI, your option. So long as release notes (see my post above) spell it out. e.g. Not accepting this change will affect your ability to access and use newer features as they evolve. A mature software company knows how to structure their code so that features remain usable from more than one style of UI. Tesla will have "arrived" here when they allow individual user preference skinning of the UI and widget placement control. I expect this would satisfy most of the most vocal complaints about new versions and what they wreck.

Yawn... The level of whining and complaining it would take wouldn't be even remotely worth it unless your sense of entitlement is staggeringly high. The future is forward, not backwards, but I suppose if you kick and scream like a toddler enough, you eventually get what you want...

Jeff
What is forward about the cartoonish black and white ugly UI version 9??
is backwards and horrible.

Software changes, it just does. It's absurd to maintain different code bases. Tesla is already constrained enough as it is and I'd much rather these software engineering resources be devoted to fixing bugs and adding features than trying to keep a very small minority of entitled owners happy...

Jeff
Why they don’t jammed the software for S and X in Model 3? I guess you wouldn’t mine to have larger size windows.

Tesla is not unique with this issue. The history of software updates is rife with people complaining that the new software made changes they did not like, as they were familiar with the previous versions.

Not everybody is happy with every update. Apple and Microsoft are legendary for customers that rue the day they upgraded to the latest version. Usually soon after the negative feedback a further tweek of the new system is offered to resolve the more onerous complaints (but not always).

Sometimes new software will negatively effect some legacy accessories. People complained loudly when their older printers or software would not be compatible with the new stuff. Many older programers never wanted to give up their ancient DOS programs, as their entire lives were invested there.

Most companies are on a path. Sometimes the next step along that path will seem backwards to many, but in the longer term the path take you into a better future, even with some mis-steps along the way.

There are always going to be some complainers along the developmental path. They will demand LOUDLY that things must always remain the way that they were comfortable with. They will dig in their heels, some rightly so, and demand that things be put back the way they were before the upgrades changes.

Tesla has always given me the option to upgrade or not. I need to push an accept button to schedule an upgrade at a time of my choosing. We are not given all the details of what the new upgrade will include, but at least we know that the path is forward.

While I feel that the OPs posts sound petty, I am pretty sure that he feel entitled to his demands. He is not the first to feel that a product "improvement" is not to his liking and hope he can quietly work things out with the manufacturer.

This reminds me of when Microsoft required me to click on START in order to close down my machine. Seemed strange to me, but most of us were able to adapt.
Yes and everybody hates Microsoft

His point, as I read it, is that constant updates aren't really updates. Taking many controls, that used to be higher up on the Model S screen, and moving them lower is a perfect example. The preachers can sing "la, la, la", but losing the ability to flexibly make more use of the upper screen real estate was simply more safe, and functional. Weird, how so many devotees are hounding the rest of us. I see many profiles don't still have these cars, but that doesn't stop the criticism and the sanctimony. It is accelerating it?

Version 9 is too easy to demonstrate as regression, not progress. Weeks after this was pushed into these cars, we're pretty much here. Right? I mean, there's a couple things. Steering wheel heat no longer has to be turned on. I can't think of anything else, but it wasn't a total shut-out in the gain column. Just a large unwelcome loss. Tesla has progressively brought some aspects of loss to the car ownership experience. Does anyone remember Version 7, with fixed upper controls, and how nobody wanted to get rid of them to expand the map, but Tesla did it anyway? From 8, to 9, these same controls got put into a sub-menu, now at the bottom of the screen. And it times out. Things got worse, before they got worse. It won't do Tesla much good, if fans/developers and Elon's mistakes are causing people to leave.

Maybe it's by design.
I am Tesla fan since 2012 and I hate the new UI.

Yes and everybody hates Microsoft

Proof? How about Elon Musk:

"Musk became CEO of the combined company and decided it was time for a technological overhaul. Specifically, he wanted to toss out Unix and put everything on a Microsoft (MSFT, -2.90%) platform.

That may sound innocent enough to laypeople but not to Unix zealots like Levchin and his team. A holy war ensued. Musk lost. The board fired him and brought back Thiel while Musk was on a flight to Australia for his first vacation in years. “That’s the problem with vacations,” Musk deadpans."

He blamed it on the vacation instead of for the love of Microsoft!

I also loved my 2016 facelift Model S until V9 was released.
I never considered myself as being a fanboi but I was definitely a huge fan of Tesla and Elon.

That being said after V9 came out (48.2 in may case) and I was extremely sad by seeing it with removed functionality, ugly, primitive and cheap looking UI.
Horrible, over-simplified HVAC controls, overall lower contrast grey-over-grey text being hard to read and hence dangerous while driving.
Greyscale icons on the bottom of the screen that take long to recognize especially if you are tired on a long trip.
Spotify is worse than ever, it need more resets and all the texts are smaller, buttons are smaller too.

The map being in the background does not disturb me.
The only really nice thing is that after a year or so Tesla finally managed the top status line to be visible all the time.
Bravo. Must have been a hard work.

V9 stops working at least once a day in my car. The display becomes not responsive, than goes black and if you are lucky enough it restarts itself. Stupid enough it happened in an unknown city to me in the weekend where I needed the nav.

I still like this car and I made all of the services too, but it is not the same any more. It is much worse I am very disappointed.
All of my friends and colleagues heard me telling only enthusiastic things about Tesla. Now they only hear my frustration and we openly discussing about other car makers like Jaguar, Audi or Mercedes. They only make electric SUVs, which I find bad. The Model S is still the most beautiful and the coolest EV out there, but this is going to change I guess. The supercharger network is what puts Tesla to the top. For now. And this is sad.