Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back to the old ping pong days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a bit surprised not many are discussing this latest software update that appears to have regressed back to the time of swerving (ping ponging) in the lane.
At first I thought it was part of the new passing large trucks and moving over a bit in the lane thing. I hate that new feature actually. But then I realized it is doing it without any other traffic even around. It’s more like a swerve left and right or a “drift” I guess than an actual ping pong effect. Tesla had finally gotten it to be pretty smooth this last year, for the most part and I rarely got phantom braking these days.
It’s funny. I use my wife as my blind tester. With her in the car I don’t use AP much because she is uncomfortable with it’s driving habits. Lately I could use it and she didn’t realize it was even driving. but oh bo she sure noticed now with the swerving. I get a WTF look and have to disengage it. LOL

I do like the new aggressiveness of the lane change and that’s a good step forward. But sadly it came with step backwards in the lane control.

honestly I don’t care that much about “new” features and tricks and or visualizations on the IC, so much as I wish the basics of speed control and lateral direction smoothness just worked perfectly. If that was rock solid always I might buy into the whole “it’s coming someday” talk about next level autonomy.

but as another Tesla friend always reminds me. It’s still an electric car and i wouldn’t have it any other way.

I haven’t noticed it personally. I haven’t spent a lot of time driving at highway speed with all the traffic. I did notice that it no longer centers itself in the middle of merge lanes. That’s very welcome. About halfway through a merge without dashed lines the car would suddenly swerve over to center itself in the merge lane. It was weird behavior and dangerous if there was a car zippering in.

anyhow, I wonder if this points to a change in the lane keeping technique

It seems some have noticed this new behavior and others not. My buddy says he hasn’t seen it either on his car. But for me it would be hard to miss.
Too many different types of cars with varying AP versions and hardware differences as well as maybe even street markings and lane lines around the world etc.....
hard to get a read on these things sometimes. Not always apples to apples I guess.

I posted this on another thread. I’ve tested over 100 miles and this solved the problem for me.

I was reading an article about the different reboot types for the Tesla. Basically, soft, hard and power off/reset. The power off method actually powers off pretty much everything in the car (it’s eerie not hearing anything while sitting in the car). I did a “Power Off” to see if it would help with the ping pong since I’ve tried everything else.

Go to the “Safety & Security” in settings. Press “POWER OFF” and wait at least two minutes (very important). You will start hearing things power down during that time. After at least two minutes, hit the brake to power on the car. This apparently reboots everything including the cameras and sensors.

On a side note, take out your USB drive before rebooting and put it back in after it boots up if you are having issues with voice commands. This is a known fix by a Tesla support person. There is a bug that doesn’t allow the communications portion of the software to reboot if the USB is in there.

Let me know! I’m very curious (and happy I didn’t get sick on NOA anymore)

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo and RoBoRaT
I posted this on another thread. I’ve tested over 100 miles and this solved the problem for me.

I was reading an article about the different reboot types for the Tesla. Basically, soft, hard and power off/reset. The power off method actually powers off pretty much everything in the car (it’s eerie not hearing anything while sitting in the car). I did a “Power Off” to see if it would help with the ping pong since I’ve tried everything else.

Go to the “Safety & Security” in settings. Press “POWER OFF” and wait at least two minutes (very important). You will start hearing things power down during that time. After at least two minutes, hit the brake to power on the car. This apparently reboots everything including the cameras and sensors.

On a side note, take out your USB drive before rebooting and put it back in after it boots up if you are having issues with voice commands. This is a known fix by a Tesla support person. There is a bug that doesn’t allow the communications portion of the software to reboot if the USB is in there.

Let me know! I’m very curious (and happy I didn’t get sick on NOA anymore)

I’ve done this a couple time over the last couple years for various things. I’ve had mixed results. what confuses me a bit is when I do the hard reset with foot on brake and holding scroll wheels for at least one minute (until symbol appears) I can clearly see a long restart process of the computer etc......

but the POWER OFF when I push the brake pedal to restart, the screens come on instantly as if it were merely asleep. im not confident it does anything.
unless I’m missing a step somehow.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
I’ve done this a couple time over the last couple years for various things. I’ve had mixed results. what confuses me a bit is when I do the hard reset with foot on brake and holding scroll wheels for at least one minute (until symbol appears) I can clearly see a long restart process of the computer etc......

but the POWER OFF when I push the brake pedal to restart, the screens come on instantly as if it were merely asleep. im not confident it does anything.
unless I’m missing a step somehow.
Yes, I also noticed an instant start of the screen when doing the power down option which is odd. It is the only thing that fixed my ping pong issue because I tried everything I could think of before (other restarts, etc).

Not everyone has this issue which is interesting to me. I did a poll and found that all models (S,X,3) have the issue and it didn’t seem to be related to HW 2.5 or 3. Even some Raven models reported it. Originally I thought it was a 2.5 thing, but can’t be at this point.

I’m wondering if there is some kind of state the cars are in when the software update happens that doesn’t let something restart properly after the update finishes (like the voice command issue) unless you do that power off. It could be anything, like the person used NOA right before the update or had some setting on that others didn’t. Nobody but Tesla will know. I do notice the power off option sits there and systematically powers down things in some kind of order and then goes dead silent. It takes a couple of minutes which is why that step is important. Maybe that sequence fixes it. Again, who knows.

They are apparently pushing out 2019.40.50.5 and I wonder if it fixes this update/state issue or if this will happen again to some people.

What's this bug report you speak of?

The only one I know of just gets stored on MCU.

I thought "bug reports" go to the mothership.

Does that mean no one was listening to my prayers, all this time? FML :(

20191229_122808.jpg

Last edited: