Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back to Weaving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first bought my Tesla Model S in Sep 2017, I was unnerved by its weaving from side to side in the lane when on autosteer. Also, when it would go around a curve, it would make a series of little turns instead of a steering a smooth curve. It was bad enough that I would disengage it to keep from getting seasick. I was very disappointed.

However, as time went on and a few updates went out, it got better, much better. After a few months, it was flawless ... it nailed the center of the land with there was no weave whatsoever ... it rounded the curves perfectly.

Then came the latest update last week that made it stop sign aware and slowed it down when the traffic in the side lane was going at a greatly different speed. All of a sudden it was as if it forgot all the programming about how to stay in a lane. It’s weaving again and making a series of little turns around curves again. It is so bad that it makes you sick with the zig zag and sometimes I have to take control to stay in my lane.

What gives? Anybody having a similar experience? Suggestions?

For me, I've noticed it's mostly because of the new large vehicle lane shifting nonsense that came with 2019.40+ versions. AP will swerve around in your lane as you pass, or they pass you - vans, jeeps, SUVs, trucks....UGH it's really rediculous at times. For the first time in a while, I've been disengaging AP for extended periods because it just gets really out of hand in certain conditions - being in moderate or heavy traffic with lots of trucks and larger vehicles.

Yup another data point here for the same. I applaud their intent with the large trucks being beside the car and it wanting to give them a wider berth much like a human driver would (especially around a curve). But the implementation of it isn’t so great. I would prefer going back to the old way of just stay centered and smooth. Possibly make this an optional setting for people that just must have it.

I’ve said it before but it sometimes makes me wonder if the People designing these changes actually use it every day in traffic like the rest of us.

Same observation from our just completed 1200 miles trip. It’s particularly bad when there are multiple bigger cars in a row. AP would continue to weave left and right like a drunkard. Had to disable AP many times to avoid others think I was under the influence.

The new lane change improvement also appears aggressive, maybe because my senses were aggravated by the constant swerving.