TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Back up camera turns off too quick.

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by SabrToothSqrl, May 10, 2015.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

On most cars with OEM backup cameras, the camera stays on until you hit 5-8 MPH Forward, or a few seconds after you put it in park...

the Model S however, turns off the backup camera the instant you aren't in reverse. (Yes I know you can turn it on anytime). But a software update could fix this...

2. rickgt

rickgt Enthusiast owner/member

Why do you want to have the backup camera working when you shift to Drive?

3. caddieo

caddieo Member

I think he is referring to the curved guidelines when you are in reverse as the rear view camera is always on regardless of the gear as long as it has been selected for the screen. Same question but a different reference point.

4. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

My Odyssey minivan back up camera only operates in reverse. If the car is out of reverse at all, for any length of time, the camera shuts off.

5. wayner

wayner Active Member

The same with several models of Lexuses that I have owned.

6. TES-E

TES-E Member

My past two cars turned off the backup camera immediately upon shifting out of reverse. This is not unusual.

7. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Can't fix what isn't broken. It operates exactly as it is designed to operate. As is makes perfectly good sense to me but you can certainly submit your change request to Tesla for consideration.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Perhaps it would be helpful if you can share some examples of this to clarify things. A couple posters have said their other cars turn off the camera as soon as you leave reverse, so maybe its simply a case of what you were (or what we were) exposed to previously?

9. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Same with my wife's Mazda SUV.

10. Zextraterrestrial

#10 Zextraterrestrial, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    it is 'safer' to just keep the back up camera always on the top screen.

hate that you cant do it in other cars

11. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Actually, the only car I've driven where the backup camera stays on like that is Audi. Amusingly, the Audi forums are full of people complaining about why doesn't it turn off immediately like every other car.

12. amund7

amund7 Member

On very few occations I've noticed the backup camera stayed on in D. I think it's either when you shift to drive and front + rear parking sensors have a proximity signal, or after shifting D/R several times quickly. And those times, it was genius, because I was wedging in between cars, and it was useful to judge distance/sideways placement while going forward as well. Plus, just the consistency of the screen and your view of all 4 parking sensors made the whole experience more intuitive. I'd like it to happen every time I park.

13. WillAustin

WillAustin Member

What's the advantage of the rear camera staying on after you shift to drive? I can't see any reason for it at all.

14. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Staying on temporarily, I don't know. But like now, having the option to stay on permanently, it can be used to augment rear visibility with its wide-angle view.

15. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

It can be helpful in parking situations.

16. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Agreed. I know the tesla is functioning as programmed, but when parking, and having to move back, then forward, then back, it's annoying to have the camera cut off for that 5 seconds of moving forwards. My Tahoe didn't do that. It kept the backup camera on for approx 10 seconds in forward or until you hit 5 mph. It did make it easier to park.

17. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

With 6.2-2.4.188, my P85D does this. If I pull into my garage and the front sensors start reading distance, then shift into reverse to look at where the car is relative to the garage door marks, the camera comes on, and stays on even after I shift back into forward. The display stays up showing the rear camera view and distances around the car. I find this very useful for pulling into the garage just far enough to close the garage door and have plenty of room to walk in front of the car after parking.

18. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

It makes good sense to tie that to the parking sensors. I would almost imagine that if you are going slow enough for the parking sensors to engage, it should go ahead and flip on the rear view camera even if you haven't switched to reverse once. But at least with .188, Tesla is trying to make this intuitive. Glad to hear it!

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yep. My wife's car does this, and I can get why they might want it, but given how sluggish it is, I think they figure they'll leave it on until you get to a certain speed as switching back to it might be too slow for maneuvers.

I agree with others, it's not broken. Don't fix it.

20. WillAustin

WillAustin Member

I've driven a Lexus that had a front fisheye cam and it had a lock you could click on to keep the camera on as long as you wanted. Maybe Tesla could do that.