Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

back up camera updates - unimpressed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove car for the first time since installing latest firmware with the back up camera update that adds the side repeater views.

Although I appreciate Tesla trying to offer us more of a 360 degree view, I'm not impressed with the results.

First, the backup camera screen now covers the homelink button at the top, which I use every time I back out of my garage. To me that's sloppy implementation.

And secondly, I find the side camera views disorienting when backing up. What I hoped would be more of a rear corner type view is instead more of a true lateral/side view -- which only shows me what I've already hit.

Anyone else notice the loss of access to homelink when backing up? Is there a fix?

Reactions: PhilDavid
Also the repeater camera views are way too small to be useful when you have just a few inches of maneuvering space.

The Model S is one of the largest sedan type vehicles you can buy and I really hope they improve parking assistance views so it is more useful. Another thread discusses the repeater views being too small and potential solutions:

Repeater Camera Parking View Too Small to be Useful - Should be similar to TeslaCam Viewer

Thanks for link to that thread. I missed it. Agreed, there must be a way to better integrate the side repeaters for backup assist. The current iteration is distracting and confusing.

Anyone else notice the loss of access to homelink when backing up? Is there a fix?

Yep and it pisses me off. Now I have to back out, put it in drive, and then hit the Homelink to close garage door instead of being able to hit it right after I clear garage opening but while still backing up. It's a PITA now.

No fix that I'm aware of. Just sloppy implementation.

Thanks for link to that thread. I missed it. Agreed, there must be a way to better integrate the side repeaters for backup assist. The current iteration is distracting and confusing.

Please post your ideas on the thread I referenced.

Repeater Camera Parking View Too Small to be Useful - Should be similar to TeslaCam Viewer

Hoping if enough people comment, they will do something to address the concerns. Wish they just used the Sentry viewer for the rear camera and added the b pillar cameras so you can switch to whichever video feed you want and the selected video feed is shown taking up the full width.

A car as wide as the Model S really need better assistance with helping maneuver the car around tight spaces.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Yep and it pisses me off. Now I have to back out, put it in drive, and then hit the Homelink to close garage door instead of being able to hit it right after I clear garage opening but while still backing up. It's a PITA now.

They should have just used what we already have. We already have a rear view camera that we use so add the additional video feeds there and set it up so you can access the b pillar and repeater cameras based on which corner you swipe from.
  • Swipe from top left corner brings left B pillar camera
  • Swipe from bottom left corner brings left repeater
  • Swipe from top right corner bright right B pillar camera
  • Swipe from bottom right corner brings right repeater
  • Swipe from middle of bottom and up and you get the two repeater views side by side
  • Swipe from middle of top and down and you get the two b pillar views side by side
Now all the views are readily accessible and no changes are needed to the UI. They made this implementation way more complicated than needed and ended up creating something that is not so useful.

Just touch the down arrow at the bottom Or swipe down. It goes back to the old style view with only the backup camera.

NOTE: The comment at the end about the MCU "locking out the rear camera bug" was happening before 2020.24.x. It is something they need to fix pronto, but the side views are helpful in warning you of people, bicycles, horses, and cars, that are approaching you from either side that can't be seen with the rear-only camera or side mirrors.

Last edited:
Just touch the down arrow at the bottom Or swipe down. It goes back to the old style view with only the backup camera.

It has to do with the X in the upper left corner. The video is uploading.

That’s all well and good and an OK work around but it’s still an annoying and unnecessary extra step.

I don’t see why in the “full screen” view they couldn’t have just left the top bar viewable - doesn’t take up more than 1/4” along the top of the screen. Obviously since we are discussing it, many people hit HomeLink to close garage once clear of opening when backing up. Hopefully they “fix” it in a future update.

Reactions: vapor trail
That’s all well and good and an OK work around but it’s still an annoying and unnecessary extra step.

I don’t see why in the “full screen” view they couldn’t have just left the top bar viewable - doesn’t take up more than 1/4” along the top of the screen. Obviously since we are discussing it, many people hit HomeLink to close garage once clear of opening when backing up. Hopefully they “fix” it in a future update.

It would be much better to accept a "Close Garage Door One" verbal command. The small view lacks ultrasonic range-finding and IMO is only good for driving forward in traffic to assist in blindspot checking or see through the passenger's heads.

All my other cars are done with button above my head or on the rearview mirror. That is best because it doesn't require you to look at the MCU.

Thanks to those above showing the tips on getting access to homelink. I still think not having homelink readily available as you're backing out of garage is a clear oversight, and hopefully they'll fix it (as well as make the extra camera views more useful as PhilDavid suggests).

Alysashely79 - my garage door opener has pretty crappy range. That combined with a relative steep driveway, renders the timing of Tesla's attempts to auto-close the garage door futile.

Do you all not use home links auto open and auto close feature? I actually haven’t ever been touched my home link button.

In my application the GPS auto open is a PITA. Unlike MyQ by Chamberlain, Tesla's implementation of garage remote control is missing a key feature. It does not know if the door is already open. Since I can't see the door status when I'm driving up to the house, if somebody leaves the door open (kids have been home for months), it tries to close it on the car when I pull in if I don't hit cancel in time.

Alysashely79 - my garage door opener has pretty crappy range. ...

My opener range fell a lot when I changed to LED lights in the garage. LED lights often emit radio waves in that bleed into the 315 mhz signal of the garage door openers. They do make specific LED bulbs for garage openers now. But some LED lights that lack shielding will reduce your radio range significantly.

In my application the GPS auto open is a PITA. Unlike MyQ by Chamberlain, Tesla's implementation of garage remote control is missing a key feature. It does not know if the door is already open. Since I can't see the door status when I'm driving up to the house, if somebody leaves the door open (kids have been home for months), it tries to close it on the car when I pull in if I don't hit cancel in time.

My opener range fell a lot when I changed to LED lights in the garage. LED lights often emit radio waves in that bleed into the 315 mhz signal of the garage door openers. They do make specific LED bulbs for garage openers now. But some LED lights that lack shielding will reduce your radio range significantly.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish the light bulb was the simple cause. At this point I've removed the garage door light bulb entirely. I think the opener just has junky range.

Reactions: brkaus
Thanks for the suggestion. I wish the light bulb was the simple cause. At this point I've removed the garage door light bulb entirely. I think the opener just has junky range.

If you are a cell-phone junky, you might look into MyQ by Chamberlain. It works on most brands. Your cellphone can open and close your door from anywhere in the world with cell service. And it will tell you the status and how long it's been open. It can be handy to open your garage or close it from work or even from a cruise ship (pre-Covid).

• Informative
Reactions: vapor trail
Do you all not use home links auto open and auto close feature? I actually haven’t ever been touched my home link button.
I don't. For us with several cars and the fact that we have a home gym and shop in our garage I don't want doors accidentally opening/closing while someone is in the garage. It's easier to just manually open/close the garage doors by tapping once on the screen since the GPS even brings up the Homelink buttons automatically as you approach the house. I've heard too many horror stories to trust this system to my garage doors & cars. There's lots of use cases where this "feature" just don't work for many so they need to make sure they implement these overlays properly to avoid alienating a big portion of their customers due to unintended consequences of "upgrading feature" sets.