Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

back up camera updates - unimpressed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't. For us with several cars and the fact that we have a home gym and shop in our garage I don't want doors accidentally opening/closing while someone is in the garage. It's easier to just manually open/close the garage doors by tapping once on the screen since the GPS even brings up the Homelink buttons automatically as you approach the house. I've heard too many horror stories to trust this system to my garage doors & cars. There's lots of use cases where this "feature" just don't work for many so they need to make sure they implement these overlays properly to avoid alienating a big portion of their customers due to unintended consequences of "upgrading feature" sets.
I get that. We have two. Two separate doors that open for that reason. My car opens my door. My hubby’s car opens his door.

I live super rural and at a pitched incline when both entering and leaving. I have mine set to open close to the house I believe 20’ because we back our cars in. And it closes at 30’.

I will say I did have a complete smack head against wall time with it. A tech was coming out and asked that I leave the car in the middle of the garage to allow him room. I pulled out and didn’t pay attention. Stared backing up and the door closed on the trunk. Thankfully it did zero damage and we have a sensor in our doors that if it touches something it’ll go back up (kids) but could have been really bad.

NOTE: The comment at the end about the MCU "locking out the rear camera bug" was happening before 2020.24.x. It is something they need to fix pronto, but the side views are helpful in warning you of people, bicycles, horses, and cars, that are approaching you from either side that can't be seen with the rear-only camera or side mirrors.
Isn't this why you have windows on the car and a neck so you can look?

Do you all not use home links auto open and auto close feature? I actually haven’t ever been touched my home link button.

Never use it because it is not always reliable and most importantly the garage door sensor is too low to detect the car potentially obstructing the entrance. I want 0% chance of the garage door closing on the car, as that will be an expensive repair.

Also auto open would not open reliably when I pull up on my driveway.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits