Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back up collision avoidance / blind spot detection??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It matters very much how you park.

You can see much sooner and better if it's the nose coming out, rather than the tail.

That's why pulling out forward is much safer.

You have 3/4 of the car, much of it actively blocking your view and offering vastly inferior sight lines, behind you when backing out of the space.

You have only 1/4 of the car, and virtually all of that below your line of sight, when pulling out forward.

Even most cars that do have an separate rear cross traffic system do NOT have a front cross traffic system because of how much better a view of cross traffic you get pulling out forward.

A vastly smaller portion if you pull out forward though.

Then I'm confused why you keep trying to argue what you've apparently already been trained, by multiple people, is the safer way to park, and the safer way to exit a space.

You say you always back in- so why do you keep asking about REAR cross traffic alerting, when you're always going to be coming out of the space forward? (which is the safer way to do it regardless of what aids the car has)
Dear lord, never mind.

I was going to post exactly what the OP stated. Regarding blind spot detection, it is an extremely poor decision on Tesla's part to require that you start moving into another lane with a car to have it audibly warn you. That is just asking for more accidents to happen. It would be so simple for them to program it to warn you of a car in the other lane when you turn your turn signal on. Regarding rear cross traffic alert, the fact that there aren't any radar in the rear bumper to detect this is poor design. I would expect this lack of feature out of a $20K car not a $50K.

Reactions: idmfc
I was going to post exactly what the OP stated. Regarding blind spot detection, it is an extremely poor decision on Tesla's part to require that you start moving into another lane with a car to have it audibly warn you. That is just asking for more accidents to happen. It would be so simple for them to program it to warn you of a car in the other lane when you turn your turn signal on. Regarding rear cross traffic alert, the fact that there aren't any radar in the rear bumper to detect this is poor design. I would expect this lack of feature out of a $20K car not a $50K.
Love my Model 3, but hate the lack of rear radar and mirror indicators in Tesla’s lousy implementation of blind spot monitoring.

Yesterday I was reminded of this in a terrible way. Nothing happened to me. But I was in the center (carpool) lane on a freeway going ~65 mph in moderate traffic. Suddenly, about 2-3 cars ahead in the third lane a car didn't see someone in his blind spot, moved left and a car was sent spinning into the center concrete divider wall and two other cars spun around in lanes 2 and 3. I was about 150 - 200 ft behind and was able to slow and avoid.

My wife was really pissed off when she learned Tesla didn't put a freaking radar at the rear. Obviously no rear cross-traffic alert, but blind-spot monitoring is really poor as well, as you don't get notifications when there's a vehicle on your blind spot at all, but more importantly, the cameras only capture vehicles very close to yours, so it only works in the city, where speed differentials are low. When a car is approaching yours at high speed, the system can't detect it with enough distance to avoid an accident, so it's like you don't have the feature. I'd have gladly pay whatever the freaking radar cost, in order to have it.

Even with blindspot warning, one should always look in the side mirror to check, that's assuming you adjusted your mirrors correctly to cover the blindspot.
Even with blindspot warning, one should always look in the side mirror to check, that's assuming you adjusted your mirrors correctly to cover the blindspot.
We were always taught to look in the mirror and over our shoulder to eliminate any mirror blind spot

Status
Not open for further replies.