TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Backdoor edit to change paint

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by pcons, Sep 3, 2018.

1. pcons

pcons Member

My edit button has been gone for months (paying cash, once I selected that my button went away), but the backdoor still works. It took tesla 4 weeks to process my last paint change via email, and I'm considering switching to white after seeing one on the wild this morning.

I'm wondering if I decide to change if I should use the backdoor....has anyone edited via the backdoor and can advise how quickly the change was reflected in your account?

I expect I'm pretty close to delivery (sept/Nov window). I'm wondering if I make the change myself, will it actually be better/faster than calling in? I realize most of it will be just a guess, but curious on people's opinions....

2. spesler

spesler Member

Haha! Are you a gambler? Can you live with the consequences if your ship date slips? If the answer is yes and you really prefer white (the best color) roll the dice!

3. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

You may never get your car if you keep changing it!

I am very happy with the Red/White I ordered, but walking the lot the other day, I do have to say that the White/White looked really good.

• Like x 2
  4. pcons

pcons Member

Yeah, white/white is really nice. But with a dog and infant I'm not sure the white interior is the right fit right now.

I do realize this would likely delay my delivery, I'm more wondering if making the backdoor edit might leave my order in limbo, rather than calling it in. But my last experience calling in the change took forever, so that's where I'm not sure about what to do.

5. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

I think that's a risk... if your order has a status in their system that reflects that you're done making changes, it might require someone to manually notice you've changed and that might not be until the last minute when the wrong car is being delivered

6. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

can you change it from cash to a loan and get the edit button to come back? if your eddir button comes back they have not started production of your car so I don't know if it would change your date. If the edit button is there you can demo there changes and it will show an estimated delivery date.

7. pcons

pcons Member

Yeah, I think you might be right. That's why I was wondering if anyone has has success using the backdoor and not having their order lost in space-x :)

8. pcons

pcons Member

I can't change anything for financing (unless that is possibly through the backdoor). But then it would be the same as changing paint because the first page of the backdoor doesn't give the option to change financing. So, if there is a way to change financing I would have to advance to the next page in the backdoor which may mess things up..

I think the estimated delivery dates are generic regardless. I've seen a lot of people get it ahead of their window.

The last time I changed paint my window went to Oct/Dec (from Aug/Oct), then 2 weeks ago it went to sept/Nov, which got me excited things were happening, but I called Friday and there is nothing in their system and they said to hold tight, everything was in progress but nothing has been made yet.

This is why I'm a bit nervous about screwing all that up...maybe I'll wait until they are open tomorrow and call them...

9. Glamisduner

That's what I mean though, if they haven't started making the car yet then it shouldn't matter, and as long as the estimated delivery date is acceptable you should be ok. However if you just missed the last batch of white, then it might set you back. But if you want white your want white.

My current date says Late September, if I made a change it it got pushed to October and I wanted the change I'd just need to be ok with the new estimate, and if it was delivered sooner, then great.

10. pcons

pcons Member

Hmm, so you show a more granular date than the generic window? Even now I still just show sept/Oct. Curious if you can send a screenshot (hiding personal info) showing where you see the late Sept estimate.

11. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

I am also now Late Sept (after having been Oct-Dec and then Oct.) It's in the same place you see your estimated delivery. Funny though, when I was messing around looking at the HTML source code looking for a VIN, I noticed the "Oct-Dec" still there, but just not displaying.

• Informative x 1
  12. Glamisduner

Gotcha, locked just like the rest of the details with green checkboxes. I really wish they would let you edit this info as mine is out of date anyways. Seems like a screwy way to lock you into the order. They have updated the site several times and one would imagine that this would have been fixed by now.

deliveryDate.PNG

I still have an edit button though!?!?

13. pcons

pcons Member

Your page looks very different from mine, when I filled out all my info about 2 months ago it went to this page, and I've been at the 'drafting your contract' step for some time now:

upload_2018-9-3_20-11-45.png

If I click the overview button, it shows the following:

upload_2018-9-3_20-12-48.png

I've seen others with the same page, and I had assumed when you select cash payment that's what your new page config becomes. Strange how its so different and that it went there immediately after I selected cash payment though. It made me excited when it happened, but then nothing for almost 2 months.

14. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

My page looks like this now (except with Sept Delivery) - my order was placed 3 weeks ago. After about two weeks, I lost the edit button and it asked for details on my loan and asked me to verify all the other details with YES/NO questions. Once I answered YES to everything being correct, it changed to this and I can’t update anything any longer. No contact from any Delivery Advisors or anyone else.

BTW, I’m not a cash payment. Using outside financing,

15. Silver Ghost

Silver Ghost Member

Once you have paid the full amount they will give you a VIN and schedule delivery. I am in Texas so car must be paid before they ship.

I heard that this sat there were 4 - 3PD deliveries in Austin. The cars are really coming in now.
    0E30854A-A018-4CDC-BCD6-725A10D55022.png

16. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

As of Saturday, the Atlanta Decatur lot has dozens of 8/18 manufactured M3’s sitting there. In the hour or so I was there, saw at least 4 deliveries in progress.

17. Silver Ghost

Silver Ghost Member

That mirrors my experience in Austin. They have run out of space to keep the cars. Reportedly more than 12 deliveries a day.
    I have a 3PD + on order and those are rolling in large numbers now also. My delivery appointment is for Sep 14th.

18. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to fully agree with you as I have white/white. LOL

Its gorgeous.

19. pcons

pcons Member

So.....I ended up changing using the backdoor edit on tuesday morning, and the changes reflected in my account right away....and an hour ago I just got an email stating that the car is going to be available for pickup between sept 23 and oct 3! :D:D:D

Also, I just checked the backdoor, and it no longer works for me. Two other users I have been PM'ing with also had the backdoor stop working just before they were contacted/got a VIN, so it looks like:

1. Using the backdoor actually works faster than calling/emailing your change
    2. When the backdoor no longer works, you are very close to having delivery scheduled/VIN

Hopefully this info helps others, as I never saw conclusive threads where people used the backdoor successfully.