Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backed into at Home Depot - Interested in y'alls input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do NOT have to wait for your Tesla service as they do not do bodywork. Call Tesla and asked them for name/number of certified Tesla repair shop and make an appointment for a quote. My understanding is you will have warranty on the repair and if you ever sale, you can show them you went to a CERTIFIED Tesla repair facility. That would drive me crazy knowing there is a "ding" there. Minimum though, get a quote.

My wife took care of that.The first time she drove the car, she scraped the area just behind the rear passenger door on the side of the garage door. We had an appointment the next day to have paint protection and clear bra applied. The shop removed the paint and we did have a very small shallow crease left. I have showed the area to several people and no one can even see the tiny dent except me, so I decided to live with it.

woah.. that is way more noticeable than the OP's damage. is that straight to bare metal?

I was also dinged, mostly bumper damage, just a nick in the quarter panel. Got a quote from a shop, 850 bucks to fix it.
I decided not to, it doesn't bother me and I'm keeping this car for the foreseeable future so I'm not worried about resale value.

2z65t34.jpg

This is a simple fix. Most dent less guys will fix that easy. About 300 bucks. A little heat gun and the plastic can be popped out and if he can't get behind it to do the job ( they couldn't with mine) they drilled a screw hole, inserted a screw and pulled it out, plastic welded the hole and sanded smooth and then did a local re spray, all in my garage at home. You cannot see a thing now, I reversed into a concrete column and had a vertical indentation plus scuffing of the plastic. Replacing the bumper cover is extreme in my opinion. The same guy did a colleagues car where there was an actual ping pong ball indentation. Popped out with heat easy peasy. Also looks perfect.

The Tesla certified body shop in Austin is Autocraft BodyWerks.

If you're not in the Austin area Tesla owners Google group, PM me with your email and I'll send the link. Lots of discussion about repair and other local topics in the group.

This is a simple fix. Most dent less guys will fix that easy. About 300 bucks. A little heat gun and the plastic can be popped out and if he can't get behind it to do the job ( they couldn't with mine) they drilled a screw hole, inserted a screw and pulled it out, plastic welded the hole and sanded smooth and then did a local re spray, all in my garage at home. .
Now that's more in the range I was hoping for. Will reach out to the official shop TexasEV brought up below as well as Austin Dentworks (had good luck with them previously) and see what the deal is. I do want my car back perfect, but don't want the guy to spend a ton of money for something (that as a ton of people mentioned above) probably would never be seen by anyone but me.

I'd be annoyed but I'd probably get it fixed regardless of whether the other guy paid for it. I curbed my rims in the first week of ownership and paid to have that fixed. Then I curbed them again. (I swear the "suggested" lines for the backup camera have it out for me *and* the rims seem to be made out of a gingerbread alloy). And I'll pay to fix that, too. Life is short and these cars are beautiful - art on wheels. There is value (to me, anyways) in preserving that beauty.