Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Background App closes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Android, TCL 20 Pro and the Tesla app keeps closing in the background, and at times it doesn't close in the background I still need to wake my phone before the car will unlock. Super frustrating.

I've checked all my battery settings. Telsa app does not have optimization applied to it.

Please don't give me IPhone solutions or ideas.

I have the exact same issue with mine. Iv tried 2 Tcl 20 pro with the same issue. Iv tried with samsung phone and it worked flawlessly. So its software related, from TCL. Iv already submitted a ticket but they aren't very helpful. Our best hope is android 12 which is in beta at the moment ( you can try it if you like ), but I must say I dont have a lot of hope with TCL. Let me know if hou find anything.

I have the exact same issue with mine. Iv tried 2 Tcl 20 pro with the same issue. Iv tried with samsung phone and it worked flawlessly. So its software related, from TCL. Iv already submitted a ticket but they aren't very helpful. Our best hope is android 12 which is in beta at the moment ( you can try it if you like ), but I must say I dont have a lot of hope with TCL. Let me know if hou find anything.
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted if it changes. I guess I just have to get used to waking my phone before walking up to my car from now on 😩

If the app "closes" by itself it's probably crashing. That is not good at all. You might want to try to sideload another, older version of the Tesla app to see if it works better for you. Maybe apkmirror or another such site would cache the older versions of the app...
Normally when the app is running in the background but doesn't work until you unlock your phone, it's because the phone operating system decided to suspend the app. There should be settings for that behavior but I don't remember where that is, and it might be separate from application rights.

If the app "closes" by itself it's probably crashing. That is not good at all. You might want to try to sideload another, older version of the Tesla app to see if it works better for you. Maybe apkmirror or another such site would cache the older versions of the app...
Normally when the app is running in the background but doesn't work until you unlock your phone, it's because the phone operating system decided to suspend the app. There should be settings for that behavior but I don't remember where that is, and it might be separate from application rights.
Already tried that, both the new and older version of the app. The problem is the android OS from TCL. Iv already tried near every settings. From my perspective, the app doesn't crash, it get terminated by the OS to save battery\memory. But even when not optimized or disabling completely battery saving, it doesn't work. The OS that with other app too like youtubemusic. My guess is the OS is badly coded and android settings wont apply correctly hence I cant wait to try Android 12 to see if things are better.

Ok, that's too bad. One of the strengths of Android, the customizability by phone makers, has become a weakness :) I typically buy Google-made phones because I want the stock android, not necessarily because they have the best phones. I hope you can resolve the problem quickly. Have TCL announced when they'll provide their Android 12 update?

Ok, that's too bad. One of the strengths of Android, the customizability by phone makers, has become a weakness :) I typically buy Google-made phones because I want the stock android, not necessarily because they have the best phones. I hope you can resolve the problem quickly. Have TCL announced when they'll provide their Android 12 update?
Yes its already in beta, i could flash my phone to test it but I rather not.

I typically buy Google-made phones because I want the stock android, not necessarily because they have the best phones.

Sorry, off topic, but as an Android nerd I'd say 'stock android' and Google phones started diverging after the Nexus line turned into the Pixel line. I'm not sure 'stock android' even exists anymore (and maybe shouldn't or doesn't matter) since Google puts so much proprietary stuff into their own phones now. It's an open system and everyone is free to improve on or crap on the experience as they see fit.

But Pixels are the best phones and I'll fight you over it, lol :)

* Perspective from the pretty early days of android when the G1 first came out and we were booting our HTC Windows Mobile phones into Android for fun. I even wrote a WM application to boot into android with the push of a button in a WM app. I'm not a real developer at all, but used to like to play around.

Fair enough @bedoig , it's not stock android... it feels like it's the closest to "stock" though, to me. I left the nexus/pixel train once to get a Galaxy S9 because the equivalent Pixel was priced too high. I thought the device was great but I never liked the software reskin and the Samsung apps that replicated every Android app (browser, phone, calendar etc). I quickly came back to Pixels.

Reactions: bedoig
Fair enough @bedoig , it's not stock android... it feels like it's the closest to "stock" though, to me. I left the nexus/pixel train once to get a Galaxy S9 because the equivalent Pixel was priced too high. I thought the device was great but I never liked the software reskin and the Samsung apps that replicated every Android app (browser, phone, calendar etc). I quickly came back to Pixels.

Agree. I've done Samsung here and there. Enjoyed one of the earlier Note's when they were significantly building on what was available in the stock android platform (especially decent cameras!), but I tried the Note 10 and Pixel 4 (XL) at the same time and couldn't take the Samsung experience anymore. Even when I had the Note 5 I still installed all the Google (and/or equivalent) launchers and apps and disabled the rest. Long story short, I agree with you :)

Reactions: GtiMart
Yes its already in beta, i could flash my phone to test it but I rather not.
It's definitely software issue. It seems to kill all background apps including email, password locker and any others that typically need to keep running. Tlc support had me try various fixes and nothing worked. In the end I sent the phone back for replacement. When I get it back I'll sell it. Only good thing about that phone was the camera. I'm using a Samsung now and it's been great.