Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backing out of order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol yeah I was able to lock in my auto loan in 10 minutes online without speaking to a single person.

Mortgage took me two hours on the phone to get preapproval and estimated rates that aren’t even locked in.

Update: Tesla said “we show you’ll get assigned a VIN in the next few days, but we can go ahead with cancel and refund if you want”. So now it’s decision time. Wondering what the wife’s reaction will be if I just showed up with a Tesla in a week…
Go for it! “What have you got to loose”? Ohh wait…a marriage…hmm if you don’t have kids go foooorrr iiiitttt. 🤣

You will be twice happier having this amazing car and your new house! If you cancel you won't be fully happy even with your dream home.
Just figure out how to make it. Everything is possible!

Figure out the house budget first and after things are settled, then see if the Tesla fits in. We recently moved into a home from apartment and some expenses we never had to budget for. If the 7k is pushing it here are some other things to consider, they may or may not apply for you - Landscaping, pest control contract, water filtration contract, utilities usage increase, house cleaning and putting aside a hefty maintenance reserve. It all adds up!

Figure out the house budget first and after things are settled, then see if the Tesla fits in. We recently moved into a home from apartment and some expenses we never had to budget for. If the 7k is pushing it here are some other things to consider, they may or may not apply for you - Landscaping, pest control contract, water filtration contract, utilities usage increase, house cleaning and putting aside a hefty maintenance reserve. It all adds up!
Yeah, thanks for the advice everyone.
As much as I’ve been dreaming of the MYP, it’s just a better financial decision to buy the house and save that 1k a month for extra expenses. I was feeling pressured to go ahead with the MYP to not lose my 4k discount from ordering in November, but… that’s not the end of the world. I’ll sleep better at night not having the additional debt.

Plus I’ve got a R1T preordered from a year ago, now I can just start dreaming of that ;)

Divorce the wife. Keep the car.

michael-scott-youre-welcome.gif

JK. Being that we are in CA, she’ll get the car as well.
michael-scott.gif

• Funny
Reactions: robeeen and WhiteWi
Don’t get why you’re cancelling a model Y but holding onto an r1t? Your mortgage in a year will still be 7k. It’ll likely be more with insurance and property taxes increasing yearly. 7k house mortgage is a big no no for me no matter how much i love my wife. I rather offload a tesla than hang onto a 7k mortgage. We all have different priorities. But I sleep well at night knowing I don’t have to kill myself to make a mortgage.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Don’t get why you’re cancelling a model Y but holding onto an r1t? Your mortgage in a year will still be 7k. It’ll likely be more with insurance and property taxes increasing yearly. 7k house mortgage is a big no no for me no matter how much i love my wife. I rather offload a tesla than hang onto a 7k mortgage. We all have different priorities. But I sleep well at night knowing I don’t have to kill myself to make a mortgage.
Yeah it sounds pretty high but if he makes 30k a month why not :))) My mortgage is 800 plus 4k in taxes a year and 2.3k insurance a year. (800 + 525 ins/taxes if we break down to monthly)

• Funny
Reactions: J_nobear21
Yeah it sounds pretty high but if he makes 30k a month why not :))) My mortgage is 800 plus 4k in taxes a year and 2.3k insurance a year. (800 + 525 ins/taxes if we break down to monthly)

That’s the kicker in all this. 1st time home owner are always caught off guard by property taxes and home owner’s insurance. Here’s some cold water on you, those two costs actually go up every year.… it’s a giant scam if you ask me. =P

That’s the kicker in all this. 1st time home owner are always caught off guard by property taxes and home owner’s insurance. Here’s some cold water on you, those two costs actually go up every year.… it’s a giant scam if you ask me. =P
Lol Yeap. On top of that you spend thousands to maintain the house. Here sign this and be slave to your house for the rest of your life :)))

• Funny
Reactions: J_nobear21
Or... you could buy a house you can comfortably afford. My wife and I paid our 30 year mortgage off in 5 years.

It's just a building to live in. Not worth gut wrenching stress. Live in a yurt and get the Model Y.

Seriously, my opinion is that if you can afford $7k monthly for a mortgage, just save up for a year and go buy elsewhere. CA is outrageous. You could buy a mansion in Arkansas for a few hundred thousand.

Just want to add to this... it's not uncommon for couples to be "house poor" for a very long time. You could be earning a combined $400k, but not have 2 nickels to rub together for 15 years.

My opinion is that path is a waste of life. We only get so much time here on earth, and all of this "stuff" just burns in the end.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Rochester NY versus SanFran real estate is worlds apart. Easier to pay off a home in upstate New York versus Silicon Valley. With that said 7k/month isn’t 7k/month in year 2 or year 3 of home ownership. I’m down in Clearwater. We are at 300-500 sq ft.

Every year there’s more fees. You have to budget in year 2-30 for potential increase.