Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

backing up camera feature suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was lucky enough to get a test drive a few days ago and noticed that the backup camera, while beautiful, was not as helpful as my current car. It made objects appear much closer than they actually were so it appeared I was about to hit them when I in fact had 5-6 feet. Not sure this is something that could be adapted to, seemed really out of whack. Has anyone else tested this? If not, perhaps the next person who gets to drive one can check out what I'm talking about.

Usually it's just color coded so red means you are close.
2009-infiniti-fx50s-back-up-camera-display-photo-297826-s-1280x782.jpg

Bad news!

"At this point, I don't see any plans for an auto adjusting steering wheel.* We'll be using Google Voice, but that's something that will come online with our very first software update.* The car will have a wifi card, so it will be able to use wifi (mobile hotspots, etc), but it won't be a hotspot in itself.* With your HD backup camera, there won't be assist lines."

Just got this info from my Tesla rep 2 hours ago:

Todd's Question said:
There has been mention of backup camera features (such as turn/guide lines) being planned for a future update. Is this in work, and if so when is the expected release?

Tesla Representative's Response said:
This is indeed something we are investigating, but I do not have a definitive timeframe for introduction at this point.

A small nit with the backup camera:

When you put the car in reverse, the backup camera takes priority on the 17" screen and gives you a backup view. The Homelink button seems to have priority over the Apps, but under the backup camera in reverse screen. My garage door opener is a litte deaf, so my procedure is to back out until I am just clear of the door. This door happens to be second on the homelink list and goes behind the backup camera view. The first time this happened, I put the car in park, hit the homelink tab, put the car back in reverse and continued away from the garage; what a pain. Now, I just leave the car in reverse and tap where I know the homelink tab is hiding under the backup camera view. This works, but is a kludge; the homelink drop-down list should have priority over the backup view.

- - - Updated - - -

Well they should copy Infiniti. Terrific!

+1

The new Infiniti system with 4 cameras on each side that are merged and show a top down view of the vehicle with everything around it, is amazing. Also, the older system from Infiniti that showed the projected path of the vehicle sides based on steering wheel position was very nice.

A small nit with the backup camera:

When you put the car in reverse, the backup camera takes priority on the 17" screen and gives you a backup view. The Homelink button seems to have priority over the Apps, but under the backup camera in reverse screen.

Today (for the first time and with no firmware updates or numbered changes) when I tapped the homelink button but was still in "R", the homelink list showed up and the picture from the reversing camera slid down the screen about an inch to make room for it. No more overlap. Was I seeing things? Nope, tested it again and it performed like that repeatedly. No firmware changes that can be noted.

Today (for the first time and with no firmware updates or numbered changes) when I tapped the homelink button but was still in "R", the homelink list showed up and the picture from the reversing camera slid down the screen about an inch to make room for it. No more overlap. Was I seeing things? Nope, tested it again and it performed like that repeatedly. No firmware changes that can be noted.

this was fixed in v4.0 i believe.

New Minor Enhancement I just Noticed

If this has been posted, I apologized but I just noticed this today.

I back my car into the driveway every time and it was annoying that the Homelink window covers the rear view camera video. Today, I noticed that it now shifts the pic down a bit as shown below. Cool!

RearViewCamShiftsA.jpg

RearViewCamShiftsB.jpg

If this has been posted, I apologized but I just noticed this today.

I back my car into the driveway every time and it was annoying that the Homelink window covers the rear view camera video. Today, I noticed that it now shifts the pic down a bit as shown below. Cool!

This is a perfect example of how valuable It is for Tesla to have the ability to roll out product enhancements via cell/Internet connection.
GREAT WORK TESLA!