Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backing up into my garage- auto garage for some reason closed garage door as i was backing up, could

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
htNa7C3
Imgur

htNa7C3

OMG the door chipped your rear window and did that to your trunk?! Was that using your automatic garage door opener or using Tesla's Home Link button? Your title is a bit confusing and trying to understand what exactly happened. Was it due to slowly moving backward and the car not being sensed or opener just timed out not sensing a car and closed? Wow really sorry to see that.

What garage door opener system do you have?

Last edited:
BTW saw an earlier post of yours saying you were thinking you might sell your Model 3 and buy a MS instead. Can't imagine how you must be feeling right now. Would like to have a better idea when you can for what transpired. Our garage door has a motion detector eye basically at the bottom of the door as required (some code thing) but until the car wheels cross the light path at the bottom there I don't think it would sense the car was backing up or even going front end first.

Last edited:
Reactions: cellogig
BTW saw an earlier post of yours saying you were thinking you might sell your Model 3 and buy a MS instead. Can't imagine how you must be feeling right now. Would like to have a better idea when you can for what transpired. Our garage door has a motion detector eye basically at the bottom of the door as required (some code thing) but until the car wheels cross the light path at the bottom there I don't think it would sense the car was backing up or even going front end first.

Exactly this until tires dont reach it because the sensor is at just above feet level it would not know the car is there. Honestly freak accident as i could not see the garage door closing through rear view mirror. I emailed my service advisor.
I'm beyond pissed, upset. I have an appointment next thursday for service for the rim they gave me that was scratched on delivery day, replacement of the chargeport door and painting the hood (came scratched) now I have this done which of course is my fault...I'm pretty disillusioned with the car at this point.
I will show up to drop off the car tomorrow in the morning whether they are ready for me or not.

If it were just the trunk I would not be as terribly upset as I am knowing that the rear window is cracked from the impact.

Exactly this until tires dont reach it because the sensor is at just above feet level it would not know the car is there. Honestly freak accident as i could not see the garage door closing through rear view mirror. I emailed my service advisor.
I'm beyond pissed, upset. I have an appointment next thursday for service for the rim they gave me that was scratched on delivery day, replacement of the chargeport door and painting the hood (came scratched) now I have this done which of course is my fault...I'm pretty disillusioned with the car at this point.
I will show up to drop off the car tomorrow in the morning whether they are ready for me or not.

If it were just the trunk I would not be as terribly upset as I am knowing that the rear window is cracked from the impact.
Did you happen to have the auto-close option activated, or just auto-open?

Sorry this happened! I closed the garage door on the back of my S the second day. Luckily just a small set of scratches.

Personally, I am very much against the auto opener. The problem this that for the vast majority of the openers there is only a “toggle” signal. That is, the car just says “go”. There is no explicit open or closed. If a signal is missed or the door is out of sync it will simply do the wrong thing.

Finally, the safety eye is mounted at or below 6”. So if a kid is laying there it will detect it. That is below most cars, esp the back.

I have called, but there is no supported way of adding a second sensor. And putting it above 6” is asking for liability issues.

That's awful. Sorry that you have to deal with that.
Based on comments from the forum about the auto garage door, I turned auto-close off. And as further insurance, I ran a foam pad down the length of the bottom edge of my garage door. It also does a great job keeping the leaves out when the "gardener" blows the leaves around.
Haven't needed it yet, knock on wood.

• Informative
That has happened to me twice, both times I saw the door coming down and quickly entered the garage before the door could hit my car. I find it happens when I pull out of the garage and stop in the driveway (to unload or wash the car) and then pull back in. It seems that the system can't tell if I'm coming or going when I park close. I never fully trust it anymore.

• Informative
That has happened to me twice, both times I saw the door coming down and quickly entered the garage before the door could hit my car. I find it happens when I pull out of the garage and stop in the driveway (to unload or wash the car) and then pull back in. It seems that the system can't tell if I'm coming or going when I park close. I never fully trust it anymore.

In your case, it sounds like moving out isn’t far enough to trigger the command. So the door is left open when you park. But the car moving towards the garage is causing the car to try to open it. So it sends “toggle” and the door closes.

• Helpful
Reactions: EV-lutioin
Raise the sensors that are mounted at the garage door opening on each side up to just higher than the bumper of your car, this will not allow the door to come down onto your car.
Manufacturer and the CPSC says between 4” - 6”. If you move it higher and someone gets injured, you’re on your own.

The rule is to keep a child from getting hurt that is laying under the door. Sensors above 6” and a child would not be detected.

This is one of those "use at your own peril" kinds of things.

Tesla tends to try to too much with too little in the way of sensors. So there are quite a few "oops" moments with either autopark, summons, or the homelink controlled door opening.

This feature really should only be enabled for garage doors with separate commands for open, and for close. Then it at least does what the car wants it to do.

But, even with that there are chances it will mess up.

You might not pull it in all the way when it autocloses. It's sensors aren't exact enough to determine if you've moved exactly the right amount.

I have mine set on auto-open only, and I think it's mostly risk free.

But, I do acknowledge it's still something that can go wrong. So part of me wants to turn it off. The car isn't self aware enough to know not to drop a garage door on its head.

I'm still trying to picture how this happened. Did he/she not notice the door was coming down on the trunk, then not stop when it made contact, causing the scrapes? My garage door automatically starts to raise if it bumps into something on the way down. I'm guessing this one doesn't? Did Auto-Close start to engage as the car was approaching in reverse? Sounds like something might not be configured correctly.

The auto Homelink function is only based on distance traveled. It doesn't even take into account which direction you're traveling. It can get out of sync if you do something like park your car on the driveway, do something, then drive off again resulting in it opening your door as you're leaving. I had an occasion where I stopped my X in front of my house to talk to our gardener. The door had opened when I approached the house. I then got in my car and backed it up my driveway and into the garage. Homelink then activated the door again, closing it. Luckily I guess I was going fast enough that I made it through the closing door and tripped the sensor to stop it. I got out of my car to the sound of the garage door stopping and reversing.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva