Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backing up protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does tesla provide a feature i can turn on to prevent backing up collision protection? I cant find anything that talks about that after searching and searching.

this morning i backed into a car as i pulled out of my drive way. There was no beep or alert whatsoever. Completely my fault.

Im having a bad season in life and was just absentminded and “lost.”

i now have a brand new damaged tesla...ive had it only for a month. Im so upset with myself and hoping there is some feature that can help me not be such a dumb person in the future.

Does tesla provide a feature i can turn on to prevent backing up collision protection? I cant find anything that talks about that after searching and searching.

this morning i backed into a car as i pulled out of my drive way. There was no beep or alert whatsoever. Completely my fault.

Im having a bad season in life and was just absentminded and “lost.”

i now have a brand new damaged tesla...ive had it only for a month. Im so upset with myself and hoping there is some feature that can help me not be such a dumb person in the future.

This angers some people but it's true. The Tesla collision avoidance system is several years behind the curve now. All my other late model cars are better (2016+), some costing less than 1/2 the price.

No, Tesla does not have reverse AEB or cross traffic alerts. The ultrasonic are not 100% reliable and the reverse camera sometimes fails to come on.

I was pretty mad at myself the first time I curbed the tires.

...and the second time.

It happens. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought it to use it. It's not a museum piece, and I don't take it to car shows. Point is, don't beat yourself up too much about it. Battle scars!

This is right. My wife has a 2019 Toyota Highlander. If you are in Reverse, not moving, and anything moves into the field behind you, it starts a distinctive beeping and the mirror lights flash. How cool is that? Sitting in the driveway, if someone is walking on the sidewalk, beep beep. If you are in a parking lot getting ready to back out of a space, and someone is approaching to drive behind you, beep beep.

My 2020 Model X is totally unaware of these hazards. Plus I love the Toyota's mirror lights themselves. Far superior to the cartoons on the MX dashboard.

Reactions: tguer21
This angers some people but it's true. The Tesla collision avoidance system is several years behind the curve now. All my other late model cars are better (2016+), some costing less than 1/2 the price.

No, Tesla does not have reverse AEB or cross traffic alerts. The ultrasonic are not 100% reliable and the reverse camera sometimes fails to come on.
Aww this makes me sad, I did not know this. I thought something was wrong with my car that it didnt beep before i hit something. I thought it would at least do that...i was hoping it would actually stop me, but i understand if it doesnt. Im so sad that i didnt know better...i just learned someone like me should not have a tesla.

...and the second time.

It happens. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought it to use it. It's not a museum piece, and I don't take it to car shows. Point is, don't beat yourself up too much about it. Battle scars!

i wish it was just a scrape, i understand they will happen. this is a huge dent and body paint damage, and, etc. But thank you for the kind word. I am still so upset and sad with myself. I should not have gotten something so nice.

...and the second time.

Same here. I just curbed it for the second time last week.
Why can’t they add something like this picture? You have to take your eyes away from the upper screen to get distance info. It should be together on the same screen IMO.

Attachments

• B54ED68E-6AA6-4833-ABE9-47518B4E3DBE.jpeg
    B54ED68E-6AA6-4833-ABE9-47518B4E3DBE.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: tguer21
This is right. My wife has a 2019 Toyota Highlander. If you are in Reverse, not moving, and anything moves into the field behind you, it starts a distinctive beeping and the mirror lights flash. How cool is that? Sitting in the driveway, if someone is walking on the sidewalk, beep beep. If you are in a parking lot getting ready to back out of a space, and someone is approaching to drive behind you, beep beep.

My 2020 Model X is totally unaware of these hazards. Plus I love the Toyota's mirror lights themselves. Far superior to the cartoons on the MX dashboard.
I definitely think at our price point it should :(

Reactions: Bob Denny
What kind of hitch? And do you not garage the vehicle? Does it fit with the hitch?

Just the tow bar sticks out enough that it would hit first. But this spring summer I have not remove my standard ball either. Which is probably like 10” out further. Fits in
My not so large garage easy. Sorry I don’t have a photo.

Just the tow bar sticks out enough that it would hit first. But this spring summer I have not remove my standard ball either. Which is probably like 10” out further. Fits in
Oh, interesting, maybe you can provide brand name and model? I have a hitch receiver but it doesn't stick out far enough to do anything.

It might be a mixed blessing. Some city will ticket you for not removing your towbar, not many but some.
You can do some expensive damage to unibody cars by hitting the receiver. It bends areas that are hard to fix.

That being said, I had the tow bar on my truck when a texter was tailgating me in stop-n-go traffic. It did heavy damage to her Volvo, and not a scratch to my truck. But... A truck is a frame on rail, and this was a 20,000lb rated receiver.

• Funny
Reactions: Bob Denny
It might be a mixed blessing. Some city will ticket you for not removing your towbar, not many but some.
You can do some expensive damage to unibody cars by hitting the receiver. It bends areas that are hard to fix.

That being said, I had the tow bar on my truck when a texter was tailgating me in stop-n-go traffic. It did heavy damage to her Volvo, and not a scratch to my truck. But... A truck is a frame on rail, and this was a 20,000lb rated receiver.

For the tow bar (the receiver). Never. 99.9% of vehicles you cannot remove the “receiver”. The receiver is the “tow bar”. Maybe leaving the ball on in some places is a problem. But I have never heard of such a thing. Getting hit without the hitch will do plenty of damage too. Half the vehicles around here have them on. Recreational lake. I think it’s better to hit the hitch on a minor hit. On a major hit it won’t make much difference. That’s the way I look at it.