Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backing up protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the tow bar (the receiver). Never. 99.9% of vehicles you cannot remove the “receiver”. The receiver is the “tow bar”. Maybe leaving the ball on in some places is a problem. But I have never heard of such a thing. Getting hit without the hitch will do plenty of damage too. Half the vehicles around here have them on. Recreational lake. I think it’s better to hit the hitch on a minor hit. On a major hit it won’t make much difference. That’s the way I look at it.

Can you tell me make and model of whatever hitch it is you have?

Does tesla provide a feature i can turn on to prevent backing up collision protection? I cant find anything that talks about that after searching and searching.

this morning i backed into a car as i pulled out of my drive way. There was no beep or alert whatsoever. Completely my fault.

Im having a bad season in life and was just absentminded and “lost.”

i now have a brand new damaged tesla...ive had it only for a month. Im so upset with myself and hoping there is some feature that can help me not be such a dumb person in the future.
Seriously, accidents happen; don’t beat yourself up about it. The very day I picked up my Model 3 at the delivery center 100 miles from my house, as I was turning into my neighborhood and 1/4 mile from home, I curbed my back right wheel. I felt so stupid but then realized it’s only a car and things could always be worse. I took it to a wheel repair shop the next day and $125 later, nobody could tell. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Reactions: Jetwash08
Can you tell me make and model of whatever hitch it is you have?

I keep the Tesla tow bar (receiver) in year round and it can provide some protection.

But in the summer I'm constantly towing stuff here and there and I just leave the "ball mount" (or hitch) on. It does add more devious protection but that's not the primary reason I leave it on, it's because I need it to often.

I think the one I have was made by Bully and is stainless.

It's a lot like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45295-Loaded-Ball-Mount/dp/B001EOWR70

My ball looks like this, notice it's up side down from typical drop. But works out perfect height wise for most things. It never scraps or anything.

49988366943_f0df247f91_h_d.jpg