TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Backing up slowly in reverse gear suddenly shifts to park?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Gas Guzzler, May 11, 2016.

1. Gas Guzzler

Gas Guzzler Member

Has anyone had the experience of backing up slowly, tapping the brake, tapping the accelerator, then it would just pop into parking gear? First time it happened to me I thought I must have just hit it the park button by accident. I can't seem to replicate the problem but it has occurred a few times.

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Yes - when I lift my butt off the seat so I can turn around and see backwards. The car goes to park if it detects the driver leaving.

Keep planted in the seat and this will not happen.

• Informative x 1
  3. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Fasten your seat belt and it won't happen so much.

4. loganintx

loganintx Member

There's a 17" touchscreen with a rear view camera displayed on it... why do you need to look behind you? Also, you have 3 mirrors that are in front of you.

5. Buzzz

Buzzz Member

Exactly this. Just don't lift your butt ;-)

6. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I use to never fasten my seatbelt until I was out of my garage. That sure changed when I got my car and this happened. Trying to keep my butt planted doesn't work for me while backing out since I move around too much. I've trained myself to fasten my seat belt right when I sit down.

• Like x 1
  7. strider

strider Active Member

As others stated, "It's supposed to do that." There's a weight sensor in the seat and if you lift off below 5mph it will shift to park.

8. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

*unless your seat belt is fastened.

9. Gas Guzzler

Gas Guzzler Member

I have a narrow garage with side mirrors folded when backing out to clear the garage door so I do peek behind just to make sure. Butt I really should trust that rear view camera more. Pun intended. Thanks for the clarification!

10. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Yep happened to me this weekend. I even "tested" it and reproduced it several times at a parking lot. Checked with Tesla ([email protected]), and they confirmed that this is a safety feature. Recommended that I keep my fat butt in the seat when backing up, not in those words of course...;)

11. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Great info guys. Thanks for bringing up @gas. This has never happened to me. Butt (pun) it makes sense.

12. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

It would be cool if the butt sensor can detect the weight of your butt and automatically choose the drivers profile accordingly. Perhaps this can be implemented in a future cow-butt update...I mean cow bells

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I can see it now... A Siri like voice comes on when I sit down: "Sir, we cannot confirm your profile because there has been a considerable weight gain differential from the original setting. Please reset your profile, and oh, please put down that doughnut..."

Interesting, spell check didn't like "donut", instead preferred "doughnut"...

• Funny x 1
  14. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

It could be capable of adjusting by a few pounds each time you sit in the X unless you go on a vacation for 2 months

15. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Don't know about a few pounds, mine moves pretty quickly sometimes in a week or less.... let me think, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New years....

16. loganintx

loganintx Member

This butt sensor sounds a lot like the seats on riding lawn mowers. You should definitely trust the camera, it won't lie to you!

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I told my wife that was probably it when she reported it happening to her. I was pulling into the garage the other day and the car went into park for me too. Turns out the door wasn't fully closed and the car stopped because of that I guess?

18. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I mentioned this to my wife, and she said she had something similar happen going forward.

She was picking the kids up at school, and had the car in drive (She was holding the car with the brake). She had to unbuckle to help the kids with something. Once the kids were in the car she went to reach forward to take the identification tag from the windshield when the car started to move forward and then went into park.

She did not have her seatbelt on when reaching forward this time (normally she does) and she had to lift herself off the seat to reach the tag.

19. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

I have had the same thing occur with our S... didn't realize the driver door was not closed completely and it stopped. Definitely wakes you up!

• Like x 1