Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backing up slowly in reverse gear suddenly shifts to park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had the experience of backing up slowly, tapping the brake, tapping the accelerator, then it would just pop into parking gear? First time it happened to me I thought I must have just hit it the park button by accident. I can't seem to replicate the problem but it has occurred a few times.

I use to never fasten my seatbelt until I was out of my garage. That sure changed when I got my car and this happened. Trying to keep my butt planted doesn't work for me while backing out since I move around too much. I've trained myself to fasten my seat belt right when I sit down.

Reactions: aesculus
I can see it now... A Siri like voice comes on when I sit down: "Sir, we cannot confirm your profile because there has been a considerable weight gain differential from the original setting. Please reset your profile, and oh, please put down that doughnut..."

Interesting, spell check didn't like "donut", instead preferred "doughnut"...

• Funny
Reactions: goneskiian
I can see it now... A Siri like voice comes on when I sit down: "Sir, we cannot confirm your profile because there has been a considerable weight gain differential from the original setting. Please reset your profile, and oh, please put down that doughnut..."

Interesting, spell check didn't like "donut", instead preferred "doughnut"...

It could be capable of adjusting by a few pounds each time you sit in the X unless you go on a vacation for 2 months

I told my wife that was probably it when she reported it happening to her. I was pulling into the garage the other day and the car went into park for me too. Turns out the door wasn't fully closed and the car stopped because of that I guess?

I mentioned this to my wife, and she said she had something similar happen going forward.

She was picking the kids up at school, and had the car in drive (She was holding the car with the brake). She had to unbuckle to help the kids with something. Once the kids were in the car she went to reach forward to take the identification tag from the windshield when the car started to move forward and then went into park.

She did not have her seatbelt on when reaching forward this time (normally she does) and she had to lift herself off the seat to reach the tag.

I told my wife that was probably it when she reported it happening to her. I was pulling into the garage the other day and the car went into park for me too. Turns out the door wasn't fully closed and the car stopped because of that I guess?

I have had the same thing occur with our S... didn't realize the driver door was not closed completely and it stopped. Definitely wakes you up!

Reactions: AnOutsider