Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

backslash \ button missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed tesla about this a while back. I got this in response.

Thank you for contacting Tesla, I apologize for the delayed response. There is not a backslash button for the Model 3 at this time. However, I went ahead and submitted a feature request for this character to be added to the keyboard options. I cannot promise that this feature will be available, but our team reviews every customer request seriously.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if we can assist in any way.

Thank you for helping us accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
This is still an issue. I was trying to log in to a website the other day and discovered that there are no \ or | (pipe) characters. Seems the special and punctuation characters set is somewhat incomplete. This is in a Model 3 running 2020.4.1. I considered finding the character on a web page somewhere and then copy-pasting it in but that's not an option on the Model 3 UI, either.

Now I'm wondering if the Model 3 would recognize an external USB (or bluetooth) keyboard...

hummmmm, I can create a very secure password with a combination of other characters in the set, so for me it is not less secure at all. Just change your password.
How you know your password is secured?
limited number of characters from small character set allows to do successful brut forth attack. Limiting set of characters allowed in the password weakens it. There is no way around.

limited number of characters from small character set allows to do successful brut forth attack. Limiting set of characters allowed in the password weakens it. There is no way around.
Well let's just say I fully owned a web hosting company for 20 years without a single customer account issue. ;) Got lots of smart people to talk to. They think some folks are making a big deal out of nothing. Maybe yes, maybe no. I'm not worried with my password techniques. Hint: It is not about the smaller character set. It's about the number of characters used and the fact that hackers have a limited number of tries before they lock out the account.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl and FlyF4
not having 2 characters available only reduces brute force attack from 1.2 million years down from 1.3 million years time before cracking

Well let's just say I fully owned a web hosting company for 20 years without a single customer account issue. ;) Got lots of smart people to talk to. They think some folks are making a big deal out of nothing. Maybe yes, maybe no. I'm not worried with my password techniques. Hint: It is not about the smaller character set. It's about the number of characters used and the fact that hackers have a limited number of tries before they lock out the account.
Good for you.
your are correct: limited char set can be compensated by the length of the password. However then you have to type longer password everywhere. Also some devices may limit the length of the password. Then combination of these limitations making shared password less secure...

Good for you.
your are correct: limited char set can be compensated by the length of the password. However then you have to type longer password everywhere. Also some devices may limit the length of the password. Then combination of these limitations making shared password less secure...
All good points, yet I have never run into any limitations of length. Frankly, I don't try to remember or type in cryptic passwords. I use password management programs on my devices to automatically log me in. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl