Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Cam doesnt adjust exp. for night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in the Teslalounge sub but it got downvoted for some reason. I know there is a COMPLETE BLACK backup camera bug going around but that's NOT my issue.

My backup camera works 100% fine during the day, it just no longer adjusts its exposure for night, so it's really dark. Its not black, I can still see stuff if there happens to be street lights or car lights, but again it no longer adjusts for night like the other camera's do so its pretty useless.

I've done a software steering wheel reset and that didn't fix it. This started happening AFTER a service visit (unrelated) and BEFORE I got 36.2, so I don't think the new update caused it.

Backup camera on the left, front camera on the right. Same time.

mpxjry9b1ky31.jpg

Notice the front camera adjusts exposure for night, my backup cam used to do that, now it doesn't. Any thoughts? do I need to take this in for service?

Interesting. My 2015 Model S has good backup camera vision at night, so far anyway. But I recently had a 2018 Model S loaner and was startled by how poorly the backup camera was. At the time, I thought it might be a difference in the backup lights. I thought they might not be as bright as mine are, for some reason. It did not occur to me that it might be the camera itself, or the signal processing. Now that i recall, when i washed the loaner, I noticed the backup camera looked a bit different.

Me too. Upgraded from 2016 AP1 Model S to new Raven and the backup camera at night is useless compared to the older Model S. My analysis is that the reverse lights are the issue - I think they are too focused backwards without any spread downwards so that zero light doesn't land on the ground until at least 15 feet behind the car.
I had a mobile ranger out and he said that there's nothing he could do and it's normal. I pointed out that my old S didn't have the issue and that the Model 3 worked great in the same situations. He just said that the Model 3 has a better camera! The service center basically said that its normal. I'm very disappointed. Wife now uses the hazard lights while backing up at night so that she can see back there.
I'm wondering if the reverse light assemble is mounted upside down or if it's a design/part snafu.

Anyone out there with a Raven that doesn't have this issue?

Reactions: azmodls and llirk
This is absolutely a problem with 2018/2019 models. My 2017 MS had no issues, but my 2018 MS backup camera is useless at night.
I took possession of my 2019 Model S in September. At first I thought the lights did not come on at all. But when I had the car back out of the garage on its own, I saw the lights were on.
I took the car in for service. The technician replaced all the hardware connected to the backup lights. Of course, there was ZERO improvement.
Obviously it is some sort of design defect.
Does anybody know if Tesla has acknowledged the problem and if they are working on a fix?

I did an A/B compare with a 2018 Model S. On the left we have the 2018 Model S, and on the right we have the 2019 Model S. We tried to get the lighting conditions as similar as possible: A mobile ranger confirmed that we have the same part number for the camera. So, we're guessing it's a processing issue.

Thanks for the comparison. I never really noticed difficulty seeing when reversing in our Raven. I think a few times I thought it was dim but still useful. I will pay more attention to it from now on. If the camera and lens hardware is all the same and it truly is a processing issue then maybe they can fix it in software with an update.

I can’t see more than 5 feet unless I tap my brakes. Backing out of my driveway at night is only possible by using the side view mirrors. It’s clearly an issue with the light sensitivity of the backup camera.

Why do I hang out on here?! Just to find faults I was not yet focusing on I guess.
2019 Raven MS. I thought it was just me! It's maybe 40 years since I last purchased an aftermarket reversing light for a car, and here I am with the most high tech and expensive car I've ever bought trying to reverse with the brake on so I can see something while reversing at night.

I have a MS 75D 18/06. same problem at nite. Any solutions? I foud this license plate light.. Can be mouted on top of the plate. Takes 12W of power. Haven't mounted it yet. Any expirience?
LED Nummerplaat Achteruitrijverlichting - 4202121 -...
Yours may not be the same problem. If you have new option to view cameras on mcu screen, compare the exposure from front and side cameras with rear camera. On a 2017 mcu v1 MX the rear camera exposure (day and night) is similar between all cameras. On my Raven MS the rear camera has way lower exposure... much darker image. I have been told by Tesla (so take it or leave it) that this is known issue with MCU 2 cars. I have not yet seen evidence, but rear camera image is certainly far darker than others, and useless at night.
IMAG8288.jpg

This exact same issue has been reported by people that had the Infotainment Upgrade done at the Service Center, were they went in with an MCU1 and a perfectly good night image from the rear view camera, and a few hours later they came out with a new MCU2 and a nearly useless night image from the same rear view camera.

Apparently there's a software bug on the rendering of low light images that only affects the Intel powerd MCU2, since the Tegra MCU1 worked perfectly with the exact same camera hardware and wiring.

People who went through the Infotainment Upgrade say it's pretty noticable how the night image render decreased in quality.

Reactions: llirk and Battpower
Good to know what the issue is, now we just wait for a fix...

Until then, continue to use the brake lights, hazards, third party license plate lights, and the dreaded right arm on the passenger headrest as I turn around to look workarounds.

Reactions: Vector2
It's frustrating to hear there is apparently no movement on this yet, and it sounds as though MCU1 to 2 upgrades have same issue. A really easy place to see the difference in camera performance is the new in-car viewer where you can see simultaneous images from camers.

Like this?

View attachment 536813

This is the view from the MX 2017 MCU1 under similar conditions:

View attachment 536814

And a couple of images of all cams from the viewer at night under good street lighting that clearly shows how much darker the rear view is than the others:

View attachment 536823
View attachment 536825