Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Camera “Logic”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen the backup camera in behave in both of the following manners but can’t determine what drives one over the other:
  1. Shift in to reverse and the backup camera view presents. Back up. Shift in to drive to straighten out or drive away and camera immediately disappears.
  2. Same shifting scenario, but the camera view stays on when shifting in to drive and allows a little more “aid” in parking while moving forward.
I prefer the later, but can’t figure out how to reliably repeat it remaining on while shifting in to drive. I’ve tried a couple things like if coming to a full stop before shifting matters, if foot on brake matters, and nothing can replicate it staying on, it almost always disappears when shifting in to drive, but not every time. Owners manual provided no insight - anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on this?

Thanks! I’ll give that a try tomorrow!

I’ve noticed it staying on more often, but still haven’t figured out what might be triggering it to do so and just haven’t had a chance to play with it and try different things. Pretty sure I haven’t been touching the screen, but maybe? Regardless, if that works, I’ll be happy!

I’ll report back, thanks!

Ahh, ok, that makes sense, I’ll pay closer attention next time the sensors are on and I’m switching back and forth between drive and reverse.

for what it’s worth, I could not replicate with the suggestion of tapping it on the screen before shifting in to drive.

my Audi and it seems others stay on in D until 5 or 10mph or so which I always found useful when it stayed on while jockeying to get straight in a parking spot. Maybe this will be OBE when pseudo birds-eye is eventually provided in FSD update...

Thanks all for the feedback!

So I think I have confirmed that indeed, if the front sensors are active while in reverse and the camera is active, it will stay on the screen when shifting in to drive. If the rear sensors are active, shifting in to drive still triggers the backup camera to instantly disappear.