Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Camera and White Guide Lines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a mistake and it's going to cost me. Foolishly, I tried to back into a very narrow driveway bordered by a concrete block wall on one side and a house on the other. I felt a false sense of confidence as I kept my eyes on the big screen as I guiding the two white lines into the driveway, albeit very slowly. Crunch! I guess the two white lines mark where the tires are while the body extends out even further. So I hear the car scrape as the side of the rear bumper rubs the wall. Oh no! I was confused by all the beeping going on; I bet it was telling me that I was too close but my eyes were on 17" screen and not the Dashboard display I won't make that mistake again.

Suggestion to Tesla. In addition to the thick white lines that are superimposed over the backup camera image, would you consider adding thin blue lines to denote the width of the body? Maybe with a short perpendicular lines sticking out to denote the side mirrors. THANK YOU.

Reactions: tranzndance
Well, your line are off a bit and may need to be adjusted. A good way to test this is to find a parking lot with a spot where the lines are the same or close to what the lines show on the screen. (Width-wise.) Back the car close to the spot.

Then get out of the car and see how the physical body lines up with the paint on the pavement and you can tell how much clearance you really have.

Since you’ve had this experience, I’m going to try this with my X and see if my lines are off too!

Good luck getting yours repaired!

And, Tesla doesn’t read anything here. Might suggest it from the contact dropdown on your My Tesla page.

Well, your line are off a bit and may need to be adjusted. A good way to test this is to find a parking lot with a spot where the lines are the same or close to what the lines show on the screen. (Width-wise.) Back the car close to the spot.

Then get out of the car and see how the physical body lines up with the paint on the pavement and you can tell how much clearance you really have.

Since you’ve had this experience, I’m going to try this with my X and see if my lines are off too!

Good luck getting yours repaired!

And, Tesla doesn’t read anything here. Might suggest it from the contact dropdown on your My Tesla page.
I dont think you can adjust those lines... If so that would be great:D

Reactions: JPUConn
I submitted this request to Tesla in 2016 with photos indicating that the white lines on the screen are the center of the tire (aligned to the brake rotor) and not the vehicles body and requesting a software adjustment like you mentioned but no reply. Even tweeted the big guy, understood he’s pretty busy.

292826E3-824B-4D49-9861-7C93DF0AB729.jpeg

What the car should have is 360 degrees cameras. It's pretty silly the things they still haven't added.

Coming soon....except it might be impossible due to lack of observable area in front of the hood. But something is better than nothing.

For my car, the guidelines are nearly perfect with my tire edge. So far so good. I am fairly vigilant but we all make mistakes, the issue is Tesla body work can be very pricey for a small mistake.

Coming soon....except it might be impossible due to lack of observable area in front of the hood. But something is better than nothing.

For my car, the guidelines are nearly perfect with my tire edge. So far so good. I am fairly vigilant but we all make mistakes, the issue is Tesla body work can be very pricey for a small mistake.
Coming soon? Was this one of the promises? Don't recall that one!

And I'm going to have to test this. Usually I fit within the lines so a few inches doesn't matter. But would be good to know how off/far the margins are, precisely.

You wonder what the limits are adjusting this when they install the rear camera (or adjust the lines or whatever...)?

Coming soon? Was this one of the promises? Don't recall that one!

And I'm going to have to test this. Usually I fit within the lines so a few inches doesn't matter. But would be good to know how off/far the margins are, precisely.

You wonder what the limits are adjusting this when they install the rear camera (or adjust the lines or whatever...)?

Tweetstorm nearly a year ago. Crickets since. Knowing Elon time, probably should expect it around end of Q4 2019...along with AP3.

Elon Musk is considering a Tesla in-car Wifi hotspot and dynamic 360-degree surround view

• Helpful
Reactions: selfbp and TaoJones
What the car should have is 360 degrees cameras. It's pretty silly the things they still haven't added.
The car has ultrasound sensors on front and rear bumpers. When backing up, these show a picture on the screens (going from yellow to red as you get closer) of the distance to obstacles as well as sounding a warning when you are getting too close. The OP was confused. He heard the warnings but apparently didn't look at the screens or understand what they were showing.

Tweetstorm nearly a year ago. Crickets since. Knowing Elon time, probably should expect it around end of Q4 2019...along with AP3.

Elon Musk is considering a Tesla in-car Wifi hotspot and dynamic 360-degree surround view
Okay, didn't really *promise* that, like the recent things that have showed up. "Having it in dev mode" is like Elon time once removed. :D

Still don't know how they would ever have 360 with the current cameras, since would need a front camera (like the project people are working on completing to duplicate the rear camera) and I guess something to complete the color balance, as Red/Monochrome is of some use.....

I'd love 360 view also, but I don't know how they would get it to really work...

For those that don't drive a variety of Teslas... There are many things that you would expect to be the same on every single car, but they are not!

For instance, this very same example... The reason why some people are perplexed about this thread, and yet others are *passionate* about it, is because it's not the same on all cars.

My car (2015 MS P90DL), the lines represent the path of the tires.
Newer loaner cars I've driven, the lines represent the outer edge of the car.

There is absolutely no reason that these things are not consistent, but they are not...

There are plenty other examples too... Like the "Easy Entry" function. On my car I have to wait for literally every single motor (on the seat and steering wheel) to move independently, one at a time. And of course, the steering wheel up movement is the last. Yet, on a newer loaner I just drove, the seat and the steering wheel motors all work at the same time. There's no reason for this to be different!

We've seen this over the years on other absurd differences between older cars running an older code stream, verses newer cars on a separate newer code stream. And yes, I've always verified these differences were occurring with the same major firmware release number.

I submitted this request to Tesla in 2016 with photos indicating that the white lines on the screen are the center of the tire (aligned to the brake rotor) and not the vehicles body and requesting a software adjustment like you mentioned but no reply. Even tweeted the big guy, understood he’s pretty busy.

I just assumed that the lines represented the centers of the tires when I first used the backup camera. For some reason, that seems more appropriate, but I guess I can understand why you would want them to be on the outer edge.

The service center can calibrate the camera if it’s way off. Don’t know how bad it has to be to get their attention. I know mine are centered correctly, but off by a couple of degrees, so my car is parked a little crooked if I line up the camera line with the parking lot line. The lads at work love ribbing me about it.

Remember that if the rear liftgate camera is a bit out of alignment, the lines superimposed by the software don't know about it. So, yes, see if your lines don't line up with the real world. Maybe have someone outside the car help you--set up soda cans or pylons and do a test.

Remember that if the rear liftgate camera is a bit out of alignment, the lines superimposed by the software don't know about it. So, yes, see if your lines don't line up with the real world. Maybe have someone outside the car help you--set up soda cans or pylons and do a test.
Mine are the same on both sides in my prior 2013 and current 2015 and all loaners I’ve received. The software is set to center of the tire (brake rotor) rather than body line like most other manufacturers.

This has been bugging me for a while with my S. Here's how bad it is:

Now that is probably the best result. When I am slightly off center toward the driver's side I am often parked over the lines on that side of the car and need to get back in and move it.