Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Camera and White Guide Lines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My backup lines sometimes "jump" when I shift into reverse. It's a bit hard to describe the effect. When I shift to R, I see the camera image and the lines on the screen, but then after a second or two, the lines jump and seems to recalibrate themselves. The resulting lines/image is then more accurate.

Do you see this behavior too?

(I took a look at NewTMSMan's video. But he doesn't show the screen right after shifting to R, so I'm not sure if there is the "jump" as I described.)

Of course, then you get, are all parking spots (distance between the lines) identical everywhere? In all states?

I tested this at the local mall, and my X seems to have the lines about on the outer edge of the tires. Not enough to protect the entire car, but better than the 'track' (middle of the tires?)... I'd say you need to use the camera and the mirrors to see how close you are to objects to the side!

Yeah, but if I center the lines in the spot (see video) the car is offset in the spot towards the driver's side. Doesn't matter how wide the spot is.

I do not see the lines jump or change at any point when using the backup camera.

My experiment this weekend. I knew something was up. I used to park my old SUV with laser precision with the cameras. With this car, I always wind up tilted. So i've basically started to not use the lines so much.

For folks seeing this issue, what has been the response from the service center?

upload_2019-1-30_1-31-44.png

• Informative
Reactions: qwertzy
I found a hack. But will still bring it into service (again) to discuss. Basically, you unscrew one of those bolts, and turn the camera. Because it's a wide angle lens, you got to tilt it a bunch. Notice one of the bots no longer fit (if you screw in both, you inevitably go back to the old situation).

One implication of doing this is the white guide lines now represent the tips of the ear mirrors, not the edge of the wheels (which is fine by me, as long as it's consistent and straight on both sides).

On the fish eye lens, this shouldn't be a factor. Tesla made the white lines curve - this should take care of it. One basic way to test is to try to drive matching the left guide line. You can't. At least not with my Tesla. I spent 10 minutes the other thinking if I drive over a spot with the top of the left white line, and backup straight, that spot will end up on the bottom of the white line. NOPE! :)

Would folks know if this voids warranty, etc?

upload_2019-1-30_11-1-18.png

Reactions: P100D_Me
You guys are forgetting since the camera is not centered with the car the camera lines won't be either.
I had a Chrysler 300 and the reverse camera on that was mounted off centre as well, I could never get that thing lined up in parking spaces if I used just the camera so I reverted to doing things the old way and just used the side mirrors for alignment.
But this is an interesting thread because I have tried to use the reverse camera on the Telsa on occasion and it all looks good as I am backing in and when I get out I am embarrassed at the way I've parked...I thought it was me but apparently not reading through here.

Silly question but why do all Tesla owners seem to like backing into parking spaces? Am I the only one that pulls in frontwise? It's how I've parked all my previous cars. Is it all due to superchargers?

Were all of your previous cars Teslas?
Not just Superchargers but all chargers we have to back in.
Cars backing in can make tighter turns, thus easier to park. And it's safer too.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Silly question but why do all Tesla owners seem to like backing into parking spaces? Am I the only one that pulls in frontwise? It's how I've parked all my previous cars. Is it all due to superchargers?

Well for me I prefer it because of the camera since I can see exactly where the car is in relation to objects or curb. Not so much with the front of the car, that is left to best guess and I hate having to guess especially if I have loaded the car down and there may be a clearance risk.

Even before my Tesla I backed into parking spots.

Backing into a spot I’m going into a known space with no cars or pedestrians. All I have to do is not hit the car(s) next to me.

Backing out of a parking spot I’m going into a unknown space with ever changing conditions (pedestrians and cross traffic I may not see). On top that I have to worry about hitting the car(s) next to me.

Think of it this way... When you back in, you are out there in the flow of traffic where other cars can see you, and you can see other cars. Then when you pull out, you have much better sightlines for cross traffic. Also much quicker to leave. And you probably won't hit anything pulling out, cause you can see everything well.

When you pull in, its quick. But you can't see exactly where the front bumper ends. Will the bumper clear the curb? When you back out, you can't see nearly as well, until you get out into the flow of traffic. I suspect reaction time is quicker pulling out versus backing out.

Once you get the hang of it, both take about the same amount of total time to enter and leave the parking spot.

My experiment this weekend. I knew something was up. I used to park my old SUV with laser precision with the cameras. With this car, I always wind up tilted. So i've basically started to not use the lines so much.

For folks seeing this issue, what has been the response from the service center?

View attachment 373077
Maybe this is why “Advanced Summon” is always just 2-3 weeks away......PERPETUALLY!! :eek: