Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera color @ dawn/dusk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

R1Fast

P3D Blue/White
Sep 11, 2018
Seattle
Searched TMC for a relevant thread on the backup camera turning to a red hue at dawn and dusk. Didn't find one. I found a few threads about the annoying flicker caused by LED/DRL (which IMO looks like cop lights a lot of the time and nearly gives me a heart attack :eek:) but nothing about the issue below.

It really just looks like someone put a red overlay over the backup camera lens, or the screen if that make sense. Does anyone else notice this issue at these times of the day? I'm wondering if this red hue is by design (e.g. like a 'nite lite' function of the display, like many laptops/monitors have or perhaps a weak attempt to improve night vision) or just a SW glitch/crappy camera.

It doesn't seem to happen with ample light, but I've seen backup camera flicker between red and 'normal' in shaded areas on a sunny day as well. If it's by design, it doesn't seem to work very well...and the red hue actually makes it harder to see at night (IMO).

I've experienced the flicker usually in really bright areas of the image (parts of the sky, for instance). Also get the red hue from time to time. Seems like an intermittent glitch though. I've also experienced instances when the camera is completely black when I shift into reverse.

I've experienced the flicker usually in really bright areas of the image (parts of the sky, for instance). Also get the red hue from time to time. Seems like an intermittent glitch though. I've also experienced instances when the camera is completely black when I shift into reverse.

Yep I've seen the black screen too, and a few times when in reverse that it doesn't recognize and activate the camera OSD at all.