Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera cracked or peeling from the inside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put my car in reverse today and noticed the backup camera screen was blurry and unusable. Upon inspection it looks like it’s cracked. What’s odd is it doesn’t feel rough or jagged, almost like the issue is from the inside. I assumed a rock or something flew up from the road (winter conditions here) and maybe hit it, as there is no other marks on my car, but it is bizarre that the lens feels smooth and intact. Don’t know if I should turn it into insurance or if the repair cost is reasonable, anyone have a similar thing happen or know the cost of replacement? 2016.5 model s AP1. C47EBF00-FFC2-47B5-ACD6-E70A8A701612.jpeg

Put my car in reverse today and noticed the backup camera screen was blurry and unusable. Upon inspection it looks like it’s cracked. What’s odd is it doesn’t feel rough or jagged, almost like the issue is from the inside. I assumed a rock or something flew up from the road (winter conditions here) and maybe hit it, as there is no other marks on my car, but it is bizarre that the lens feels smooth and intact. Don’t know if I should turn it into insurance or if the repair cost is reasonable, anyone have a similar thing happen or know the cost of replacement? 2016.5 model s AP1.View attachment 623360
Why not open a service ticket? You’re still under warranty, no?

• Disagree
Reactions: HotIce
That would have to be a "magic rock" to hit the camera in its location and not damage anything else. I'm thinking it might have been a sudden temperature change causing the lens crack.

Or maybe it's not a crack, but water got inside and froze? Southwestern PA has had a bunch of snow and freeze/thaw cycles in the past few weeks.

Everyone outside of Pennsylvania will think his registration is 3.5 years out of date.
It's not. PA stopped issuing stickers for license plates some time ago.

That would have to be a "magic rock" to hit the camera in its location and not damage anything else. I'm thinking it might have been a sudden temperature change causing the lens crack.

Or maybe it's not a crack, but water got inside and froze? Southwestern PA has had a bunch of snow and freeze/thaw cycles in the past few weeks.

Everyone outside of Pennsylvania will think his registration is 3.5 years out of date.
It's not. PA stopped issuing stickers for license plates some time ago.
Hmm. Not a bad hypothesis. I didn’t think of that. I might try to heat it up see what happens.

My 2016 MS had the same problem in 2017 and I had it replaced under warranty. Now the new one cracked again this January. This time it is out of warranty. The lens surface is smooth, so I think it is due to freezing-thawing here in Western New York. Mine is constantly getting covered in dirt and road salt, so I make a habit of wiping it off before getting into the car. I have never observed condensation in the lens or blurriness in the picture, other than due to the cracks. Tesla should come up with a fix, in my opinion. I think its just piss poor design.

looks like a rock or something hit it. Or it got super chilled/heated and shattered. Just go to tesla and ask to buy the camera 1061269-00-D however it is listed as a restricted part for whatever ****ing reason. But sometimes things are mislabeled and they can sell you stuff other times its not. Like i tried to buy a screw once and it was a restricted part, a ****ing screw for the center console retrofit that i just got later at home depot on the way home.

• Funny
Reactions: Sanderpman12
When my 2018 MS was at the Tesla shop for repairs they washed the car. After we picked it up there was water infiltration in the camera and parts of the ring around it came off. Tesla wants $900 ( Canadian ) to fix it and they claim it is not under warranty. I have a 2019 M3, the design of the camera is different and the camera looks brand new. The winters here in Quebec are rough but the MS camera is designed poorly as the camera sticks out and has little protection from the elements. I have yet to see any car model and make with this design.

Attachments

• IMG-3930.JPG
    IMG-3930.JPG
    376.4 KB · Views: 203