Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Camera dark at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Fall, I had the displays and CPU upgraded in my 8 year old model S. The first time I backed out of the garage, I noticed that the rear camera image was much more vivid than I remembered. It was a few weeks before I was driving after dark and noticed that I could hardly see anything on the backup camera. At night, the image is so dark that I could easily have backed into another car in the parking lot! I contacted service and they were no help. I finally got before and after pictures by contacting another owner who has not done the upgrade. Mobile service came out with a new camera, but we found it was no better and did not do the install.
Is there any way to get the software back to the performance I had before? It seems to me that a software engineer changed the camera image to higher contrast and destroyed the night vision.

This has been reported and discussed many time: yes, backup camera at night is great with MCU1, but once you have MCU2 it's average to mediocre. There seems to have been a SW update earlier last year that improved it a bit to some, but like you, to me it's very dark and lost usefulness in dark areas. It's indeed a software issue, not sure if it will ever be really addressed.