Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Camera Disappears when Touching UI on AP1 Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
I don't have too much hope any of this will ever be resolved.

A number of years ago Tesla made a change in the UI where if the backup camera was showing (default when you put the car into reverse) any touch of the screen would cause the backup camera to disappear. This is a huge safety issue. I personally contacted them and even got an acknowledgement that it was a problem and a safety issue.

To this date it has never been resolved. And Tesla Fan boys think it is OK because we should absolutely do nothing while we are backing up other than stare at the screen so it's not an issue.

So if they are not interested in fixing this safety issue, which may be an issue that the NHTSA would be interested in, I doubt that they would be much interested in the items within this thread. :(

@aesculus That's interesting because the bug you are describing is something I have never seen and I touch my screen regularly when backing up. I often have to hit the "close garage door" button on homelink and the rear view has NEVER disappeared from my screen. I am not saying that what you are describing isn't true or doesn't exist, just that this is not a widespread bug as your post appears to indicate....

@aesculus That's interesting because the bug you are describing is something I have never seen and I touch my screen regularly when backing up. I often have to hit the "close garage door" button on homelink and the rear view has NEVER disappeared from my screen. I am not saying that what you are describing isn't true or doesn't exist, just that this is not a widespread bug as your post appears to indicate....
Really? What car model/year and fw are you on?

@aesculus 2017 Model S. Just upgraded to 2021.4.6, but I have had 13 upgrades since last September and have never seen what you are describing on my software...ever (since I bought the car in March 2017)
Wow. We are pretty similar. Mine being a 2016.

For example if backing up I touch the temp on the main panel that is enough to make the backup screen disappear.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Wow. We are pretty similar. Mine being a 2016.

For example if backing up I touch the temp on the main panel that is enough to make the backup screen disappear.
Here's a video I took today that shows me entering/leaving backup mode (reverse), touching the screen, etc. and you can see the backup camera doesn't disappear. Can you post a video of what you are seeing?

Attachments

• backup.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 75
Here's a video I took today that shows me entering/leaving backup mode (reverse), touching the screen, etc. and you can see the backup camera doesn't disappear. Can you post a video of what you are seeing?
I'll make one later today. Can you also try changing the temperature from the main screen while backing?

BTW I am on 2016 without the other cameras so our UI is different.

@aesculus yes I can change temperature or any of the buttons at the bottom while the car is in reverse. Have not tried it while the car is moving backwards but no reason it wouldn't work then as well...
I did not get a chance to make the video today but trust me. If I touch anything like the temperature or any of the controls the backup camera disappears.

I have a special switching device for a front camera but I don't think that has any role here. I suspect it is because I have an older 2 camera car and associated UI. Telsa is not going to spend one minute fixing a mistake they made years ago for that ancient hw. :(