Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera frame rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for those that have choppy backup cameras - do you also have a USB storage device installed to record video? have you tested it with and without the device? sorry if it was already mentioned.

Yep tested with and without. Heck, I noticed it reversing out of the showroom parking lot when I picked up my car May 2. Was very close to going back in and asking them what the heck is wrong with the camera!

Yep tested with and without. Heck, I noticed it reversing out of the showroom parking lot when I picked up my car May 2. Was very close to going back in and asking them what the heck is wrong with the camera!
i get the choppiness too and had been meaning to try both thinking my aging USB stick was the issue. recently upgraded to a speedier stick and recently received the v28 update and it's still choppy.

to me it feels like a process prioritization issue. we don't know enough about how the camera feeds to the computer to determine if it's bandwidth, mode of communication or simply RAM/CPU power. at firsts glance it does feel like maybe the encoding/CPU/GPU is getting overworked in parts. maybe if the image was compressed or slightly smaller, it would combat these issues.

Reactions: beachmiles
i get the choppiness too and had been meaning to try both thinking my aging USB stick was the issue. recently upgraded to a speedier stick and recently received the v28 update and it's still choppy.

to me it feels like a process prioritization issue. we don't know enough about how the camera feeds to the computer to determine if it's bandwidth, mode of communication or simply RAM/CPU power. at firsts glance it does feel like maybe the encoding/CPU/GPU is getting overworked in parts. maybe if the image was compressed or slightly smaller, it would combat these issues.

My suspicion is that it affects all HW3. Probably still waiting for some optimization updates here.

You’re HW3 I presume?

My suspicion is that it affects all HW3. Probably still waiting for some optimization updates here.

You’re HW3 I presume?
am. confirmed with chat a few days ago. i'm still confused what the fuss over HW and the differences between 2.5 and 3 are?? i know they have something to do with FSD capabilities but i'm not clear on what exactly "IT" is. :D

am. confirmed with chat a few days ago. i'm still confused what the fuss over HW and the differences between 2.5 and 3 are?? i know they have something to do with FSD capabilities but i'm not clear on what exactly "IT" is. :D

Right now not much. All I know is that only HW3 owners are experiencing this backup camera frame rate issue, and at this stage I’m going to bet it affects 100% of them.

(You need HW3 for upcoming FSD on city streets, and stop light/sign recognition. HW3 encodes its videos in H265/HEVC, whereas 2.5 is H264.)

Reactions: beachmiles

I'd agree, some sort of priority issue.

On my 2019 M3 LR with HW3 I am seeing the choppy back up video. I showed a mobile tech a and month ago and he said that's known issue and there will be a software update fix.
May try bringing it into a SC, because I agree that it can be dangerous when backing up and seeing frames from a second ago in what should be real-time. It's pretty bad. I'm guessing they will need to downres the video or compress it more because I thought I heard the backup camera is wireless so I'm guessing the link speed is not high enough.

On my 2019 M3 LR with HW3 I am seeing the choppy back up video. I showed a mobile tech a and month ago and he said that's known issue and there will be a software update fix.
May try bringing it into a SC, because I agree that it can be dangerous when backing up and seeing frames from a second ago in what should be real-time. It's pretty bad. I'm guessing they will need to downres the video or compress it more because I thought I heard the backup camera is wireless so I'm guessing the link speed is not high enough.

Where did you hear the backup camera is wireless?

Anyway, I’ve been hearing it will get fixed for 4.5 months now. Not holding out hope.