Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Camera Freeze. Not updating image

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had the backup camera freeze while reversing. By freeze I mean it keep the same image on the screen and looked fine. My wife did not realize the image was not updating until she backed into my daughters bike between the car and the garage. The proximity detector also failed during this event.

We now have to replace the rear hatch of the car due to the damage. The bike if fine. My wife reviewed the footage and it had frozen. Bummer is she did not know you have to honk the horn to save the footage and drove the car. This erased the footage.

Tesla told us we should not count on the camera always working and should use the mirrors. Makes me even less likely to trust full autopilot.

Has anyone else had this happen? I have seen reports of black screens but none where the image just freezes in place.

Aaron

We had the backup camera freeze while reversing. By freeze I mean it keep the same image on the screen and looked fine. My wife did not realize the image was not updating until she backed into my daughters bike between the car and the garage. The proximity detector also failed during this event.

We now have to replace the rear hatch of the car due to the damage. The bike if fine. My wife reviewed the footage and it had frozen. Bummer is she did not know you have to honk the horn to save the footage and drove the car. This erased the footage.

Tesla told us we should not count on the camera always working and should use the mirrors. Makes me even less likely to trust full autopilot.

Has anyone else had this happen? I have seen reports of black screens but none where the image just freezes in place.

Aaron
This happened to me a few days ago. I rebooted my screen and so far has not repeated.

I’ve had this happen about 3 times now in 3 months. Goes back to normal after screen reboot. Getting annoying though. It’s a strange sight seeing the image of my driveway while backing out of a parking space at Costco!
And yes, this is a safety hazard. Since this is pretty random and intermittent, I’m sure Tesla service will not be able to duplicate the problem. Anyone else share this experience?

Reactions: Big Earl
This happens to me for a few seconds at a time sometimes, but fixes itself. It did happen at a supercharger once, though, and the whole screen froze. I switched back to drive and went to a parking spot to reboot, but the whole time the screen was stuck in reverse, even though I was going forward.

In all cases, I noticed because the car was moving but the image on the screen was not.

I’ve had this happen about 3 times now in 3 months. Goes back to normal after screen reboot. Getting annoying though. It’s a strange sight seeing the image of my driveway while backing out of a parking space at Costco!
And yes, this is a safety hazard. Since this is pretty random and intermittent, I’m sure Tesla service will not be able to duplicate the problem. Anyone else share this experience?
Just had it happen tonight. The same backup camera screen shot of my driveway appears on the main screen for the last hour, but interestingly enough, not the split screen views of the left and right side of the car. each of the side views are accurate. I will try the reboot. Model 3 is about 1 year old. It’s the first glitch I have really had.

Just had it happen tonight. The same backup camera screen shot of my driveway appears on the main screen for the last hour, but interestingly enough, not the split screen views of the left and right side of the car. each of the side views are accurate. I will try the reboot. Model 3 is about 1 year old. It’s the first glitch I have really had.
I just fixed the backup camera “freeze”, meaning the same backup view capture was being held by the camera for hours. Overall this may take 30 seconds. After the screen goes dark after pressing the 2 wheel buttons perhaps 7 seconds, it takes about 15 seconds for the screen to come fully back to life. I did the simple scroll wheel reboot here:

Option 1: The scroll wheel reboot

Press and hold both scroll wheels on either side of the steering wheel for up to 10 seconds and the main/central screen will reboot. While rebooting you may have seen the airbag icon become visible in the dash and the clicking noise from the indicator will not be heard.

Yes, scroll wheel reboot fixes the problem. And yes, the rear view image freezes but both side views remain live.
But I wonder why this is happening and which vehicles? Could lead to a potential accident.
I’ve experienced this within the last 3 months or so.
Mine is a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD

In my experience this issue is more common when the dashcam/sentry drive is near full.

I just fixed the backup camera “freeze”, meaning the same backup view capture was being held by the camera for hours. Overall this may take 30 seconds. After the screen goes dark after pressing the 2 wheel buttons perhaps 7 seconds, it takes about 15 seconds for the screen to come fully back to life. I did the simple scroll wheel reboot here:

Option 1: The scroll wheel reboot

Press and hold both scroll wheels on either side of the steering wheel for up to 10 seconds and the main/central screen will reboot. While rebooting you may have seen the airbag icon become visible in the dash and the clicking noise from the indicator will not be heard.
My car: 2020 M3 LR RWD, White, 19” wheels. South Florida

Happened to my wife today. Rear camera frozen, side cameras fine. (See pic: garage door was open in reality but not on rear camera) Reboot fixed the problem but this seems dangerous!
6CC61C56-E0D0-4EEE-8C44-D3695308EC9C.jpeg

Reactions: jsight
This has been happening to me too periodically while reversing. Video feed freezes for a bit then 'catches up'. Noticed it's gotten a lot worse after installing the 2021.36.8 software update. I rebooted the UI for a different problem and now the backup video feed is choppy and uneven. This is a major problem for me since the only way my car fits in my garage is by being reversed where I have to come within 6-8 inches of my tool chest.