Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Camera in Drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all of our other vehicles, the backup camera activates in reverse and stays on until the car is driven faster than a set speed in drive.

On our MY, the backup camera stays on only in reverse and immediately turns off in drive.

Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the backup camera ON for at least a few minutes when shifting into drive for parallel parking adjustments?

I guess you've never parallel parked where there are driveways or red painted curbs and you need to inch forward to make sure your rear end isn't overhanging such that you would get a parking ticket? 🤷‍♂️
I see what you're saying, the rear camera would be helpful in that situation. I get by using the side mirrors, but as previously mentioned, you could manually open the cameras while in drive to double check yourself.

A second option, albeit less practical but quicker than opening the camera app, would be to turn on the setting where your turn signal activates the blind spot camera. You might look silly, but it's easier than reaching for the touch screen.

You can put the backup camera icon on the quick menu, and also use the voice command "open backup camera" and "close backup camera".
Thanks. Did not know about that command.

The voice command will work great to solve parking in our garage. 2023 model has no usable front parking aids. Front distances via Tesla Vision are all over the map and always wrong.

We have a pretty large buffer in the garage and easy to park the car but not so easy to make sure there is plenty of walking room in front and back of the car, plus the trunk extends out quite a bit while opening just waiting for the day the car got parked just a little farther back and "somebody" bumped the trunk open button in the app.

I'm putting a strip of tape on the garage floor and now will display the rear camera while parking and stop as soon as I see the strip of tape in the rear camera or back up to it if went further.

I don't understand about adding a "backup camera icon" on the quick menu. How do you do that?

Thanks. Did not know about that command.

The voice command will work great to solve parking in our garage. 2023 model has no usable front parking aids. Front distances via Tesla Vision are all over the map and always wrong.

We have a pretty large buffer in the garage and easy to park the car but not so easy to make sure there is plenty of walking room in front and back of the car, plus the trunk extends out quite a bit while opening just waiting for the day the car got parked just a little farther back and "somebody" bumped the trunk open button in the app.

I'm putting a strip of tape on the garage floor and now will display the rear camera while parking and stop as soon as I see the strip of tape in the rear camera or back up to it if went further.

I don't understand about adding a "backup camera icon" on the quick menu. How do you do that?
In the app button, just hold on the camera app and drag to the bottom 5 icon slots that are available. This is no different than dragging an app from your app drawer on your smartphone to your desktop.

Are people really that new to Tesla?
Yes. They're selling to a much wider market these days (not just big fans a nd really tech-savvy folks) and nobody is born knowing the car. Stuff that seems obvious to a long-time owner may well not be obvious to a new buyer who hasn't read the manual a couple times.

I just wish that if I had the camera up before going into reverse, it stayed up after going back to Drive. I use it a lot like that for backing a short trailer into and up the driveway, and sometimes I don't judge the initial turn quite right.