TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Backup camera issue

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by KL670, May 7, 2019.

1. KL670

KL670 Member

Our cars have been having this very annoying delay or in some instances, complete black out, for the backup camera. It’s very inconvenient. We’ve tried many resets. We’re on software 2019.12.1.2. Anyone having this issue?

2. zhu-

zhu- Member

It's a common issue for many people here. I've had this happen often on 2019.8.5 but seems to have fixed itself on 12.1.2. Did this happen before?

3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I've had it happen once on 12.1.2 at a supercharger.

I've seen it in previous releases either in a large delay or where I had to hit the backup to turn it off/on to get it to come up properly.

But, with 12.1.2 neither of those worked. I ended up shifting it from reverse to drive, and then back to reverse to get it to come up. So quite a bit of a hassle.

Has only happened once with 12.1.2 though so maybe a 5% failure rate since installing 12.1.2 a few days ago.

4. KL670

KL670 Member

This has been happening for the past month and across 2-3 updates. Sometimes putting it from reverse to drive and back to reverse still doesn’t solve it.

5. Lostb0y

Lostb0y Member

Happens to me less on 2019.12.1.2 but definitely still happening.

6. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

12.1.2 fixed it on mine. Hasn’t happened since this update.

7. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

12.1.2 broke it on mine. I've had a issue nearly once per day since the update where the touchscreen is non-responsive, the display doesn't show the correct gear (R, P or D), the backup camera is black and other weird stuff on the screen. Reboot fixes it...until approximately the next day. On my car, anything of this type was exceedingly rare before 12.1.2.

8. AltoM3

AltoM3 Member

The black out of backup camera happened to me quite often while I was on version 8.5. The blackout lasted about 1 to 2 sec. on a first use of each trip. If I switched on the backup camera again within a minute again. It seemed to be fine. After recent software upgrade to 12.1.1 and 12.1.2, the backup camera seemed reacting instantly until the past few days. The momentarily black out is now appearing for half of a sec. in most cases. It seems to me it is related to the performance of the software after a long term of use. With a refresh of the software upgrade, the operation system of the software might work faster... I am feeling this is a typical performance degradation in the memory of the system affecting certain the response on certain type of on demand command or operation.

9. brandonee916

brandonee916 Member

12.1.2 fixed my backup camera issue, be sure to do a computer reset (hold both thumb wheels) following every update.

10. stirgeon

stirgeon Member

Updated to 2019.12.1.2. on Monday. Twice now the backup cam does not show up. Just stays on map.

11. KL670

KL670 Member

It just happened. It took a full 6 secs for the backup camera to show up. It’s just unacceptable.

12. Love2Run

Love2Run Member

2019.12.1.2, Still an issue for me.

13. iaflyer

iaflyer Member

Happens all the time, last two updates its been like that. Occasionally, the backup camera never comes on and I just get a black image.

• Like x 1
  14. JPP

JPP Active Member

...still happening for me with 12.1.2...

15. dww12

dww12 Member

It is delayed for me almost every time on 12.1.2. Sometimes up to 8 sec.

16. MacGreiner

Still happening for me on 12.1.2 - also had screen freeze on reverse, then a stuttering like a 5 fps effect yesterday.

17. Kane 317

Kane 317 Member

12.1.2 here still happening. Happened a lot over the last few updates (3-5 months).

For what it's worth, the more I use Sentry Mode, the more common it seems to happen.

Tried resetting it multiple times with both toggles+brake--does not seem to fix the issue.