Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Camera Lens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
I love my MY but with the recent change in weather the backup camera lens seems to get dirty/smudgy/foggy easily. I've tried wiping it off, and it does help, but it seems to get "yucky" again pretty quickly.

Is there some coating or lens cleaner that you might recommend? Would a ceramic coating keep it clean? I know we're not supposed to use Rain-X on the windshield but maybe it would work well for the backup camera?

Thoughts? Are you having this trouble or is it just me?

No real solution to this. Had a couple of cars with motorized rear cameras that fold in when not in use, those are the best and never require cleaning. All I can recommend is wipe the lens off with your finger when getting into the car on wet road days. Some cars even have a wash nozzle to clean the lens, definitely an issue on all cars.

Reactions: RNHurt
No real solution to this. Had a couple of cars with motorized rear cameras that fold in when not in use, those are the best and never require cleaning. All I can recommend is wipe the lens off with your finger when getting into the car on wet road days. Some cars even have a wash nozzle to clean the lens, definitely an issue on all cars.

The backup camera squirter is one of a very few ways my Bolt is better than my MY. (Others would be the synthesized overhead camera view and the heated steering wheel. Well, and price.)

Whenever is rains or snows I use a paper napkin (thank's Dunk'n) to wipe off the rear camera lens when I park my Model Y. I also wipe off the lens when I arrive back home so the camera view is not obscured by a dirty lens the next time I leave home, have to back out of my garage. Since the Model Y has a total of 7 exterior cameras you also need to be sure that the side repeaters are clear.

Reactions: AmbienWalrus
You can try Rain-X, it makes the glass hydrophobic- water beads up and runs off, this ends up getting more of the debris off of the lens. I think it all boils down to the aerodynamics of the car blowing road splatter onto the back of the car. The only consolation is that if you are good, you can use the side view mirrors for a lot of backing up tasks.

^ well, in all fairness the MY is particularly hard to BU because of the raised rear/massive hatch with it's low slope angle.

It really reminds me of my VW Corrado. That thing had just as much view out of the rear window as a MY. In fact, the view was so bad that VW gave it a speed activated spoiler that got out of your way at low speeds so you could see something, anything out the back window.

^ wouldn't be that bad if Tesla used/enabled overhead view (which they can easily do with the current hardware- you actually only need one cam to do it, it's referred to as "stitching") like many modern cars do, but just using the one cam for backup for the MY is kind of daunting.