Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

backup camera not full screen anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
on my 1 day old car, while in reverse and backup camera was full screen, I clicked a different app on the screen, and now my backup camera is no longer full screen when I shift into reverse.

and nothing I've tried can get it full screen again.

any ideas ?

If the camera app is open on either the top or bottom portion of the screen and you put it in reverse, it won't go into fullscreen. Just click the small grey button with the cone on it to toggle the fullscreen mode.

this happened to me, too, today, out of the blue. Is this what yours looked like? I've never seen this before in 6 months of ownership. And idk what "cone" they are talking about...

Attachments

• IMG_4178.JPG
    IMG_4178.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 631
this happened to me, too, today, out of the blue. Is this what yours looked like? I've never seen this before in 6 months of ownership. And idk what "cone" they are talking about...
Yea, that's normal when you put your car in reverse, it automatically opens the rear camera screen with the ultrasonic sensor graphic on the bottom. If you have your camera app already open and put your car in reverse, the white reverse lines will appear but it won't automatically go into full screen mode. If you wanted to open full screen mode, there will be a little icon with a cone on it on in the top left corner of the camera window. If you click it, it will go into fullscreen just like the photo you attached.

The cone button looks like this:

It also appears while moving at a slow speed, especially helpful when navigating tight spaces or parallel parking.
Rear_camera_large.jpg

If you want it to fullscreen automatically, open the map fullscreen by double tapping the Nav button (or anything else so the the camera doesn't show) and then put the vehicle in reverse. You should see that the main screen will go into a fullscreen camera + parking sensor display mode.

Last edited:
The camera video has never been full-screen, only half screen (at least based on my experience since 6/2014).
It's only logical, really. The center display is portrait and the camera's landscape. The largest it could possibly be without chopping off the edges of the video is half-screen.

There's a couple operation modes:
  1. You have the Camera app assigned to one or both of the two display slots. In this case, shifting to reverse does nothing, and the camera does not pop up. If you're going less than 5mph (or was it 10?) there will be a cone icon you can tap to force the pop up.
  2. You have other app(s) in the display slots. In this case, shifting to reverse pops up a window over your current apps. This window contains the video feed from the camera on the top half, and the sensor output on the bottom.

I tried the cone icon/button. I want it to be fullscreen camera and nothing else - as it was before. I've got the parking sensor on the instrument panel, and don't want it on the 17" screen.
I agree! Mine used to be full screen and now it's half with the other half taken up by an image of my car. I don't know how this happened, but it's been that way since latest fw update. 2.16.17. There is no way that I can see to get it back the way it was. Frustrating.

Ok, here's another thread on this. Appears to be a bug. We need to reboot.
What's this new thing?? Split image backup camera?
That's a different problem being described in that thread.

The video can't reasonably be full screen. As @Gizmotoy pointed out above, the backup camera is a landscape orientation - a horizontal rectangle - like your TV. The screen in the car is a portrait orientation - a vertical rectangle. If you expanded the view from the landscape orientation of the camera to fill a portrait screen you'd have an image so vertically stretched out that it would be disorienting and probably useless. It was never that way.

If you have the video camera already enabled on your screen before going reverse, you will not get the 'full-screen mode' with the parking sensors.

If you did not have the camera app active, then it should work just fine.

^^ this. these camera view modes are normal behaviour.

also if you're driving with the rear camera view displayed, the grey "cone" icon appears any time in the camera view any time something comes into range of the ultrasonic sensors at low speed. If you were to tap the cone icon, then the bottom half of the display shows that overhead graphic of your car, as seen in some of the images posted above.

also:
Ok, here's another thread on this. Appears to be a bug. We need to reboot.
What's this new thing?? Split image backup camera?
this other thread you mentioned is something else completely, take a close look at the photo in that thread of JUST the rearview camera section and you'll see that the video image itself is split and jumbled (ignoring the overhead car graphic) - bottom half of the camerview is displayed above the top half of the cameraview. That's definitely some kind of bug (I've seen it too) that either goes away by itself or can be cleared with reboot.