Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Camera Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For more than a year I've been reporting repeated instances of the backup camera not working (black screen with just the while guide lines). Each time I submit a report I provided pictures, a video and time stamp so they can pull the error codes. Last week I brought the car in again and today I got back the invoice with the following tech notes...

"Unable to duplicate concern. Inspected backup camera and harness -confirmed no damage present. Confirmed output from DAS Module in specification..."

What isn't mentioned, but was noted in the Tesla computer is that the car's error log clearly indicated there was a camera failure and it was due to a timeout error. Reading what the tech choose to say it one could easily believe there was no problem whereas what he left out clearly demonstrates there was. The seems to be disingenuous and an attempt to make it appear there isn't a problem ("unable to duplicate) when in fact Tesla knows the camera failed to work and they know why.

That this failure has happened repeatedly for so long rather than acknowledging it Tesla instead provides leaves out what is the salient information is deeply concerning. Another rep even went so far as to claim that the backup camera is a convenience not a safety feature (his exact words) even though federal law has required backup cameras on cars since May 2, 2018.

I'm posting this so that other owners who are experiencing intermittent failure of the backup camera know they are not alone. There is a problem, Tesla knows there is a problem and they know what the problem is.

So out of nowhere my 2021 M3P backup camera failed to engage. This locked out all of the cameras and disabled all of the FSD functionality, and I was on a small road trip (it sucked). I heavily rely on FSD in heavy bumper to bumper freeway traffic. I went to the nearest dealer and they unplugged a main power supply and re-booted the computer, and viola, everything was back to normal. Then it happened again 2 weeks later, and I did the same process and viola, it was back to normal. I called Tesla and they said that they wanted to replace my main computer. So as I write this, my car is in the shop getting the computer replaced. I asked Tesla service advisor for more diagnostic evidence of where exactly the failure is, and he said that they don't know (and won't know). The service advisor said that replacing the computer might fix the issue, or might not - "its a first step in diagnostics". So I confirmed that "per Tesla" there is no definite diagnostically positive result that will ascertain a problem that completely disables the cameras and all FSD functionality (including the free 2021 autopilot features for non-FSD cars). Is anyone else having these issues?

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
maybe kinda related...?

ive a 2020 m3p with PUP and FSD. prior to getting the fsd beta, i was having an issue where the rear cam would not auto adjust the aperture on the sensor so it would just be blown out video. at home i park in a garage and the car sleeps but at the office i also park in a garage but the car is on sentry, so the cameras are on and naturally the aperture for the rear camera is adjusted to let more light in.

when the rear cam was doing this. fsd was NOT available. all other cameras exposed the video properly and worked normally.

so when i would leave the garage, the aperture would adjust and only after the car went to sleep would the camera "reset" itself.

this was not each time i parked but it was often.

when i got fsd (about 2 weeks after official launch or when the 99s got it) ive not seen this issue any more.

i started having this issue after a firmware update (had the car new since 2020 march) so it seems it may have been software related since its not been back in over many weeks now.

Have 2013 Model S, they replaced the screen unit in May. I think I had a software upgrade, then quickly afterward I got a message need new 12V battery, then a few days later rear camera stopped working. I thought maybe when we replace the 12V batter rear camera would work again... nope.
I have done soft resets, powered down, push brake, unplug usbs... I have tried and tried but got no where. I set an appointment but their estimate is $659 - and I really feel this is software bug. And ideas?

Have 2013 Model S, they replaced the screen unit in May. I think I had a software upgrade, then quickly afterward I got a message need new 12V battery, then a few days later rear camera stopped working. I thought maybe when we replace the 12V batter rear camera would work again... nope.
I have done soft resets, powered down, push brake, unplug usbs... I have tried and tried but got no where. I set an appointment but their estimate is $659 - and I really feel this is software bug. And ideas?
Hard to say with a 2013. I hope everything works out.

maybe kinda related...?

ive a 2020 m3p with PUP and FSD. prior to getting the fsd beta, i was having an issue where the rear cam would not auto adjust the aperture on the sensor so it would just be blown out video. at home i park in a garage and the car sleeps but at the office i also park in a garage but the car is on sentry, so the cameras are on and naturally the aperture for the rear camera is adjusted to let more light in.

when the rear cam was doing this. fsd was NOT available. all other cameras exposed the video properly and worked normally.

so when i would leave the garage, the aperture would adjust and only after the car went to sleep would the camera "reset" itself.

this was not each time i parked but it was often.

when i got fsd (about 2 weeks after official launch or when the 99s got it) ive not seen this issue any more.

i started having this issue after a firmware update (had the car new since 2020 march) so it seems it may have been software related since its not been back in over many weeks now.
Have any repairs been done? Has there been any diagnostics done by Tesla?

Just had mine replaced. It would consistently not work for the entire day, but sometimes it would work, then not work the same day. It was pretty much reproducible. They replaced my handle which included the camera under warranty. I took pics of the screen every time it didn't work for evidence.

I have had several cases where my backup camera in M3 stopped working especially when starting cold. This has been observed for at least 6 months. I never bothered to take it to Tesla service as the camera starts after 10-20 secs on its own. It does bother me though at night when visibility is low.

Sorry for not replying early regarding my 2013 Model S. So I could not stomach taking the $659 estimate so booted the appointment until later next year... so now appointment is tomorrow. Finny thing is went X-country skiing today lifted the rear tailgate and said wow - lot of corrosion around backup camera. I thought so much it was housed in metal. But it is in plastic. Further research on web, looking at parts, I see how poorly this was designed. the camera has metal and screws in the back side so I am sure the salt in New England just went nuts. I will post some pictures.

See Pics below - Tesla should be ashamed of how poorly this was designed, all that corrosion is from behind the camera. It was so bad that even after taking out the screws you could not move the camera. I am upset I never noticed before warranty wen out in May.

I did find a video on how to replace camera - all do able just a pain as a lot of the trim needs to be heated so the 3M tape will come off.

I undid screws and tried to see if I could move camera without moving trim - no go so far. I will probably try the interior trim 1st. I am also considering

a small cut by the left screw so I could bend the camera out, 8 year old car, under cut and patch no one will see. I will 1st remove the interior trim after I locate a camera. I think 100-150 is the price for used one but need to check again. If I do replace I will silicone around the camera to prevent salt from getting in.

So will cancel the appointment for tomorrow and see how this unfolds...

Attachments

• IMG_6989.jpg
    IMG_6989.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_6988.jpg
    IMG_6988.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_6987.jpg
    IMG_6987.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6986.jpg
    IMG_6986.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6985.jpg
    IMG_6985.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 145
Folks - Success, video above was extremely helpful - here are some more tips.
Bought this 3M Tape - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JR4D7AA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 wish I had also bought 1/2" wide as well, would have saved some time.
Screws are not in great shape so will go and try to replace one today - small number of threads so almost looks stripped. I think t-25 to remove.
I did buy Camera New - $40 delivered - not the higher res that folks talk about but it is fantastic - actually I think part of the reason is that my interior screen and whole unit was replaced then they did the MMC unit (the said they did not have the chip separately in May - under warranty, but had a whole unit and replaced my dash screen - I think the resolution on the Dash screen was an upgrade compare to original 2013 dash screen - so maybe that is why i think the camera works great! I am just happy backup camera works now).
Camera - New - excellent price - Tesla 1006773-00-F Rear-View Camera & Harness NEW | eBay
See my pics below - the back of camera is open to elements - again a joke - terrible engineering design. I put tape on, as I wanted to make sure I could adjust if the angle was not proper. Now that the angle looks good, I am going to add clear silicone around camera to keep stuff out of it.

I posted some comments on the guys Video above about installation - here is additional ones.
Just to add to my comments from last night. Tips - pulling off the 3M tape that is attached was really a pain. Most of it was intact but not as sticky. I bought some 3M automotive tape that had foam in between. If I had found some that just had the tape, no foam, minimum thickness, I would have just cut and used that for 90% of the work. I think that would have saved at least 20 minutes. The end pieces on the 'chrome' tesla pieces all ripped so those had to be scraped and replaced, that was tedious and time consuming. I did try and heat up tape a little when removing and it made it sticky but easier to remove. Checked car today - looks great.

Cannot thank everyone enough for all the info I found on this in forum. Hope it helps someone else save time!

Attachments

• IMG_7017.jpg
    IMG_7017.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7016.jpg
    IMG_7016.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7014.jpg
    IMG_7014.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_7013.jpg
    IMG_7013.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7012.jpg
    IMG_7012.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 131
So out of nowhere my 2021 M3P backup camera failed to engage. This locked out all of the cameras and disabled all of the FSD functionality, and I was on a small road trip (it sucked). I heavily rely on FSD in heavy bumper to bumper freeway traffic. I went to the nearest dealer and they unplugged a main power supply and re-booted the computer, and viola, everything was back to normal. Then it happened again 2 weeks later, and I did the same process and viola, it was back to normal. I called Tesla and they said that they wanted to replace my main computer. So as I write this, my car is in the shop getting the computer replaced. I asked Tesla service advisor for more diagnostic evidence of where exactly the failure is, and he said that they don't know (and won't know). The service advisor said that replacing the computer might fix the issue, or might not - "its a first step in diagnostics". So I confirmed that "per Tesla" there is no definite diagnostically positive result that will ascertain a problem that completely disables the cameras and all FSD functionality (including the free 2021 autopilot features for non-FSD cars). Is anyone else having these issues?
How do you unplug the main power supply? Disconnect the 12v battery in the frunk?

For more than a year I've been reporting repeated instances of the backup camera not working (black screen with just the while guide lines). Each time I submit a report I provided pictures, a video and time stamp so they can pull the error codes. Last week I brought the car in again and today I got back the invoice with the following tech notes...

"Unable to duplicate concern. Inspected backup camera and harness -confirmed no damage present. Confirmed output from DAS Module in specification..."

What isn't mentioned, but was noted in the Tesla computer is that the car's error log clearly indicated there was a camera failure and it was due to a timeout error. Reading what the tech choose to say it one could easily believe there was no problem whereas what he left out clearly demonstrates there was. The seems to be disingenuous and an attempt to make it appear there isn't a problem ("unable to duplicate) when in fact Tesla knows the camera failed to work and they know why.

That this failure has happened repeatedly for so long rather than acknowledging it Tesla instead provides leaves out what is the salient information is deeply concerning. Another rep even went so far as to claim that the backup camera is a convenience not a safety feature (his exact words) even though federal law has required backup cameras on cars since May 2, 2018.

I'm posting this so that other owners who are experiencing intermittent failure of the backup camera know they are not alone. There is a problem, Tesla knows there is a problem and they know what the problem is.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've got a M3 LR, 2018. After upgrading to 2022.36.6 I've got the same issue as yours - doing a hard reboot doesn't help. It's a safety issue, and - dare I say- a violation of federal law in the US - so it appears you've got - as do I- a legitimate issue with NHTSA on this - Tesla- ya gotta get this fixed.

For anyone experiencing this and not reading the stickied thread in the general Model 3 chat, go into the service menu and see if you have 1-2 active alerts related to rear view camera initializing errors and CAN bus feed stop errors. Share that with your SC or MS tech next time you make an appointment.