Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Camera of Model S vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a chance to test drive the Model 3 and it was a beautiful car and it felt unique its own. I still find Model S looks nice exterior but Model 3 for its price still looks awesome and for somewhat 3's interior seem a little better.

But I was disappointed how the backup camera took up the most of the screen space and was not able to show navigation at the same time.

I drive Model S and X with backup camera on the bottom screen while the navigation is kept on the top half. This way I can see the blind spot quite easy and prevent accidents.

Big disappointment for Model 3 since multiple windows could not have been made for both navigation and backup camera. If Model 3 had the front dash screen, then this could have been solved, but it doesn't since the center screen is all it got. Even if the camera screen was small while showing the navigation, it would have been nice.

Or maybe there is a function that both the Tesla salesperson who showed me the car and I overlooked to create multiple screen? Correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe I am demanding from the economic Model 3, but I would miss this feature.

I can't be the only person driving with backup camera all the time, right?

I was about to trigger the Performance Model 3 for I believe its 0-60 speed will be upgraded to somewhere 2.9-3.2s in the future but I am not on the fence about the Model 3 purchase and maybe I should stick to Model S 2.0.

Or maybe there is a function that both the Tesla salesperson who showed me the car and I overlooked to create multiple screen? Correct me if I am wrong.

You are not wrong, there is no way to create Model S style screen splits at this time. The best you can do is split the maps with the music app, but that is the only option. I don’t know if there are future plans to allow screen spilts or not.

That said, I find the visibility out the back of a 3 to be better than an S with next gen seats, so there is that. The 3 doesn’t have the high middle headrest to block the view. Although it does have a high rear deck that blocks some view, it is not as bad as the newer S’s in my experience.

As far as the blind spots go, I learned how to properly adjust my side mirrors on my S and have never gone back. It is much easier for me to glance at my properly adjusted mirror prior to a lane change than the rear camera on the bottom screen. How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

You are not wrong, there is no way to create Model S style screen splits at this time. The best you can do is split the maps with the music app, but that is the only option. I don’t know if there are future plans to allow screen spilts or not.

That said, I find the visibility out the back of a 3 to be better than an S with next gen seats, so there is that. The 3 doesn’t have the high middle headrest to block the view. Although it does have a high rear deck that blocks some view, it is not as bad as the newer S’s in my experience.

As far as the blind spots go, I learned how to properly adjust my side mirrors on my S and have never gone back. It is much easier for me to glance at my properly adjusted mirror prior to a lane change than the rear camera on the bottom screen. How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

The link you provided helps but it is much more convenient to just see the screen once than seeing all the mirrors around.

Looks like fixing mirror view is only viable solution to this in Model 3.

I also keep camera on all the time. Some find it distracting but I find rearview is obstructed with mirror by seating.

Thanks, so I wasn't the only one (or my family). It's funny that my mother who now drive my Model X said before that the rear back up camera was distracting but they now have it on like me. I guess they got used to it.

Reactions: croman
My mom has a leaf and has a lot of back up camera envy. S and X use the screen real estate and provide much more detailed images. I think it's a big deal the 3 software is still in so much flux. It took a while for back up lines to appear for S. I think 3 software will take a long time to refine

I love keeping my camera on top and nav on bottom. Nav is smaller but I can always check the camera without any more of a glance than the rearview mirror.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximilien
The link you provided helps but it is much more convenient to just see the screen once than seeing all the mirrors around.

I didn’t realize the backup camera provided that much coverage to be able to change lanes without checking any mirrors. I always checked my side mirrors anyways, so the backup camera just seemed like an unnecessary step.

I had a chance to test drive the Model 3 and it was a beautiful car and it felt unique its own. I still find Model S looks nice exterior but Model 3 for its price still looks awesome and for somewhat 3's interior seem a little better.

But I was disappointed how the backup camera took up the most of the screen space and was not able to show navigation at the same time.

I drive Model S and X with backup camera on the bottom screen while the navigation is kept on the top half. This way I can see the blind spot quite easy and prevent accidents.

Big disappointment for Model 3 since multiple windows could not have been made for both navigation and backup camera. If Model 3 had the front dash screen, then this could have been solved, but it doesn't since the center screen is all it got. Even if the camera screen was small while showing the navigation, it would have been nice.

Maybe I am demanding from the economic Model 3, but I would miss this feature.

I can't be the only person driving with backup camera all the time, right?

I was about to trigger the Performance Model 3 for I believe its 0-60 speed will be upgraded to somewhere 2.9-3.2s in the future but I am not on the fence about the Model 3 purchase and maybe I should stick to Model S 2.0.

Simply put, what did you say the name of the feature is? A Backup camera? It's not a rear view camera. It isn't intended to be a rear view camera. A lot of people get sick if it is on during forward motion. As a backup camera, I think that it is awesome, it has a LARGE VIEW and makes it easy to see where you are.

Simply put, what did you say the name of the feature is? A Backup camera? It's not a rear view camera. It isn't intended to be a rear view camera. A lot of people get sick if it is on during forward motion. As a backup camera, I think that it is awesome, it has a LARGE VIEW and makes it easy to see where you are.

Yeah, I am talking about rearview camera that is originally intended to park or backing out.
Initially it was dizzy to have it but placing it at the bottom half of the screen on S, it solved the dizziness.
For some of us, it serves a useful purpose for blindspot instead of looking at mirrors. It is wide enough that glancing the rear view camera helps me change the lane.

Reactions: croman