Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does your backup camera have noticeably worse quality than the side cameras? I don't recall ever noticing a big difference between them but maybe mine is degrading... and yes I've made sure it is clean. Thoughts?

20220806_102726.jpg

Here’s a shot of my backup camera. When I looked closely it did appear slightly blurry compared to the side repeater cameras. I guess I’d never noticed - it’s still better than the cameras in our other cars and plenty good enough for its purpose.

001F3868-8130-418B-BF09-EFA1D510266F.jpeg

Does your backup camera have noticeably worse quality than the side cameras? I don't recall ever noticing a big difference between them but maybe mine is degrading... and yes I've made sure it is clean. Thoughts?

View attachment 837457
One thing I noticed is in this picture there is a haze in general. Look at the front wheel on the red car for example. I see the same artifact in the backup camera left and right. Do you have some sort of anti reflective screen covering causing this? If so, I wonder if this is part of the problem. Come to think of it, even the text looks fuzzy. In general, my screen looks much clearer for some reason.

Just found this thread, my Model 3 backup camera has very significant haze over the image that it's start to degrade the effectiveness (I need it to aim at certain marks on the floor to be able to park it at a tight spot). This is after cleaning it really well. Has anyone complained about this at the SC?

Just found this thread, my Model 3 backup camera has very significant haze over the image that it's start to degrade the effectiveness (I need it to aim at certain marks on the floor to be able to park it at a tight spot). This is after cleaning it really well. Has anyone complained about this at the SC?
Haven't but the SC has a procedure to polish the backup camera lens with a Dremel and some polishing compound. You can probably do it yourself if you are handy. The instructions are in the service manual.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
Haven't but the SC has a procedure to polish the backup camera lens with a Dremel and some polishing compound. You can probably do it yourself if you are handy. The instructions are in the service manual.
Thanks for the info, I did give it a try but didn't make any difference, so I'll schedule a service appointment. For my new MY I probably will ceramic coat the lens to keep it clear longer. One thing though since MY's camera sits higher it's far less likely to get muddy than my 3's.

Thanks for the info, I did give it a try but didn't make any difference, so I'll schedule a service appointment. For my new MY I probably will ceramic coat the lens to keep it clear longer. One thing though since MY's camera sits higher it's far less likely to get muddy than my 3's.
Any updates from the service visit? Did they change the camera for you? Any improvement?