Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera update covers up Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since Tesla added the side repeaters when in Reverse, the cameras block the top menus and cover up the Homelink when I'm trying to close the garage after reversing.

I know I can set up Homelink to auto open/close garage but there are moments when I don't want it to occur, and it can get thrown off if you manually open the garage.

Are the cameras blocking the Homelink symbol for others too? For now, I reverse out of the garage, close the camera display, tap Homelink to close garage, then manually bring up the rear camera again to finish backing all the way out of my driveway.

20200820_075455.jpg
20200820_075429.jpg

IMHO this is one of the rare times where they released a poorly thought through and badly designed UI.

Many of us have been asking to be able to see the Repeater Camera view to help us park and maneuver in tight spaces due to the absense of 360 view.

Instead of using the existing backup camera view (which allows you to use Homelink) and allowing us to switch the video feed from the backup camera to a repeater camera just like you can with the Teslacam Viewer, they created a user interface that is useless when you need it the most.

They implemented this tiny video thumbnail view that is way too small to be actually helpful when you have just a few inches of space while taking up the whole screen and blocking the Homelink controls.

Imagine if you can swipe left and right the backup camera to see the left and right Repeater camera. They would not need to redesign anything else if they just let you change the full screen video feed of the rear camera with a different camera.

They could even design this UI to swipe the bottom left and right to see the repeater cameras on either side and swipe the top left and right to see the B Pillar camera views.

Original thread where this was discussed:
Repeater Camera Parking View Too Small to be Useful - Should be similar to TeslaCam Viewer

>>IMHO this is one of the rare times where they released a poorly thought through and badly designed UI.<<

I wouldn't say that it's "rare" - or at least that the UI is particularly well designed. The screen is great but - especially for those of us who are right-handed in RHD countries - a pain to use especially on the move.

The voice activated command interface is next to useless, and the maps around here are several years out of date with none of the recent roads on them.

All credit to Musk for the concept, but the technology is pretty shonky in places.

Had same problem. SOLUTION: If after you've pulled into the garage, you shift to reverse (maybe to check with the camera if you are in far enough), then exit the car, Homelink will not show next time you are backing out. However, if the last "gear" you were in was forward and then you exit, HomeLink will be displayed on top of the back-up camera image and will automatically close the garage door.

Had same problem. SOLUTION: If after you've pulled into the garage, you shift to reverse (maybe to check with the camera if you are in far enough), then exit the car, Homelink will not show next time you are backing out. However, if the last "gear" you were in was forward and then you exit, HomeLink will be displayed on top of the back-up camera image and will automatically close the garage door.

Interesting, Stu, but mine isn't working that way. I come home, open the garage, pull forward, then Park and exit my car. I close the garage with the main garage door button as I enter the home. The next morning, I leave for work and open the garage with the main button then get in my car and reverse and the Homelink doesn't show for me to close the garage after I'm out of the garage.