Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera went black then came back. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does tesla always say software glitch...What triggered the glitch then?
..software?...

(sorry, I had to ;))

Anyway, Teslas are not the only cars that have quirky things happen to them with all the advanced software etc in them. My wifes new BMW X3 sometimes starts up bluetooth audio properly, but sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes the "BMW apps" which sync with the phone work perfectly, and sometimes the app (pandora for example) wont sync with the car so I have audio but no control.

The more complicated with software / firmware these cars get, the more we have these type things. For what its worth, the "black backup camera thing" happened once to me too on my Model 3... on my way to the airport. Nothing I did, including stoping the car and getting out before leaving home, made it come back.

The airport parking company had a destination tesla charger that I had to back up into a tight spot to use, too. Not that I couldnt back up without the camera, BUT the model 3 has pretty poor rear visibility which doesnt matter when you couple your mirrors with the camera... but WITHOUT the camera, it was a bit tight trying to get into the space properly to use the charger.

When I came back from my business trip, backup camera worked fine and has not gone out since.

So... "glitch" in some software that likely didnt boot up or sync up properly, etc... or something in the latest firmware.

This happened to me yesterday.
I had tried to turn on the climate via phone app. I kept getting error messages.
I went to the car, opened it (via phone BT with no issue), put it in reverse and got a black screen with the white guide lines.
I put it back in park, then reverse with no change. I also noticed that I had zero bars on the LTE...explaining the lack on connectivity earlier.
I drove away and tried toggling on the reverse camera , but it was still black.
Next time I drove it all was normal.

Ours does the same thing from time to time. I think you get the “bug” response as the Tesla is moly how more a computer in wheels than most ICE vehicles. Soft wear heavy, regular updates,... leads to higher chance of bugs.

I would suggest a hard reboot of your car - while parked, press/hold brake pedal and both steering wheel buttons. hold all 3 until screen shows T tesla logo.

If that doesn't help, submit an in-car bug report.

Be sure to submit a bug report from the car when this happens so it can be tracked down easier. When it happens to me, sometimes putting the car in park, and back into R fixes it. Other times.... not so much. It always works itself out, but it IS frustrating when you need that camera (which is most of the time when reversing!)

weird stuff. My Lexus that has 60k miles and is 5 years old never had a backup camera issue :)

But that is a "dumb" camera, and dumb stuff tends not to break as much as "smarter more complex" stuff. I remember my Blackberry, it was dumb, but was more reliable than my iPhone.

No excuse for it though, camera black out happened to me after an update and I was a little unnerved. It fixed itself in 24 hours and has been OK since.

Happened to me this weekend. I was working on the car (wheels) and noticed it reset itself a couple of times, and then when I went to test drive it had the black backup camera. Reseting (both scroll wheels+brake) didn’t do anything. Will submit a bug next time

I’ve heard from a couple people that you just pound on the camera icon on the card in the lower left, turning camera on and off, until the camera comes back. I have not had occasion to try this yet, but I have been told that it works.

Happens to me infrequently and reboots have not usually fixed it. Heard about this solution recently. So next time I’ll be toggling madly. Just toggle it a bunch of times. It’s faster than a reboot. Eventually Tesla might figure out how to do this automatically!

Report back if it works!

• Helpful
Reactions: is2scooby
I’ve heard from a couple people that you just pound on the camera icon on the card in the lower left, turning camera on and off, until the camera comes back. I have not had occasion to try this yet, but I have been told that it works.

Happens to me infrequently and reboots have not usually fixed it. Heard about this solution recently. So next time I’ll be toggling madly. Just toggle it a bunch of times. It’s faster than a reboot. Eventually Tesla might figure out how to do this automatically!

Report back if it works!
I had the BU Camera issue today, when I backed out of the garage. The camera on and off button did NOT work for me, neither did a screen reboot or anything else that I tried. However, I did not try the icon many times, just a few times to no avail.

Anyway, I live in Auburn CA and was driving to the HFT in Rocklin, which means I drive right pass the Tesla Service Center. So I stopped there to ask them about it. I was told many others have reported the same problem, but is always intermittent and will come back on by itself at a random time & if mine doesn't, to make an appointment with them.

They are not yet certain what causes the intermittent problem, but they assume it will probably be fixed in the next firmware update.

I was at the Tesla place no longer than five minutes. I backed the car out and my BU camera still did not work. I get the lines, but no view, BU camera screen otherwise dark.

So then I completed my trip to the HFT in Rocklin. I was in the store for at least a half hour. When I got back to my car, the BU Camera then worked perfectly and no more problems with it today. I didn't do anything other than put the car in reverse when it did work again.

Today was the only time I had the issue and today was the fist time I drove the Tesla M3 in at least a week.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I had the BU Camera issue today, when I backed out of the garage. The camera on and off button did NOT work for me, neither did a screen reboot or anything else that I tried. However, I did not try the icon many times, just a few times to no avail.

Anyway, I live in Auburn CA and was driving to the HFT in Rocklin, which means I drive right pass the Tesla Service Center. So I stopped there to ask them about it. I was told many others have reported the same problem, but is always intermittent and will come back on by itself at a random time & if mine doesn't, to make an appointment with them.

They are not yet certain what causes the intermittent problem, but they assume it will probably be fixed in the next firmware update.

I was at the Tesla place no longer than five minutes. I backed the car out and my BU camera still did not work. I get the lines, but no view, BU camera screen otherwise dark.

So then I completed my trip to the HFT in Rocklin. I was in the store for at least a half hour. When I got back to my car, the BU Camera then worked perfectly and no more problems with it today. I didn't do anything other than put the car in reverse when it did work again.

Today was the only time I had the issue and today was the fist time I drove the Tesla M3 in at least a week.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Sounds pretty typical. I will report back when I get a chance to really hammer that button repeatedly. If it doesn’t work after about 40 presses I will assume this method is no good. We’ll see! Two people told me it works, but...

Happened to me a week ago. Next time I went in reverse it was OK.
Then, it seems each day when I went in reverse it would be black (with white tire projections) for a second then the camera would come on. Each day it seems like it would be black for a tiny bit longer. Then yesterday it was black for about 2 seconds then was OK, Drove forward for about 50 feet and the entire screen went black, audio still playing. About 100 feet later in the parking lot and it seems the system rebooted on its own because I saw the Tesla logo. Seems OK now.

Be sure to hold right button and issue bug report each time it happens.

Today I was in P and went to turn on my camera with the screen button.... blank screen. Five minutes later, I put it into reverse and camera worked fine. *random*.