Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera went black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What?

What about everyone else?

Put it on a necklace or something if its all for you.

After watching the great Apr.22 Autonomy Day presentation a couple of times I felt encouraged to create a new avatar after all ...

For posterity, here's the old one I am having fitted for that necklace to be worn over a hair shirt until FSD is truly fantastic:
Autopilot Avatar.png

Picked up my model 3 on 15/11/19. Updated software to 2019.36.2.2 as soon as I got home. Been great until the this morning (after my first night drive - might be significant) and now the headlights are on in bright sun (not sure if I care but they should not be and weren't until this morning) and the reversing camera is black showing just the white lines. Tried soft reset, park, back into reverse etc. but still black.

I've booked a service call and will see if it re-appears by itself.

Picked up my model 3 on 15/11/19. Updated software to 2019.36.2.2 as soon as I got home. Been great until the this morning (after my first night drive - might be significant) and now the headlights are on in bright sun (not sure if I care but they should not be and weren't until this morning) and the reversing camera is black showing just the white lines. Tried soft reset, park, back into reverse etc. but still black.

I've booked a service call and will see if it re-appears by itself.
Just gone back to the car after an hour and the reversing camera is working again. Lights still on in bright sun though.

My back up camera went black, but still showed the white lines for guidance, two whole days before a Ranger was scheduled to come out and replace a tail light that was getting water condensation. When the Ranger arrived, the camera was working correctly. He decided to flash new firmware anyway because he said this seemed to fix other customers similar issues. The update from the Ranger took me from 2019.36.2.2 ea322ad back down to 2019.36.2.1 ea322ad. The Ranger came out the next day to fix the tail light, because he forgot the parts on the previous day, and I mentioned my firmware went back a version. He said he didn't know why this happened but that it should be the most current and/or Tesla has a known issue in my previous software.
I don't know what any of this means, how it fixed my issue or if the issue is resolved long-term. This is just a data point.

It happened to me today. When put in reverse, always showing black screen. Reseted 2 times and did drive-reverse multiple times.
I am on 2019.40.2 36f8355b356a
It is just 2 weeks old car. Scheduled mobile service appointment. Can it be rain causing back camera not work?

It happened to me today. When put in reverse, always showing black screen. Reseted 2 times and did drive-reverse multiple times.
I am on 2019.40.2 36f8355b356a
It is just 2 weeks old car. Scheduled mobile service appointment. Can it be rain causing back camera not work?

Same thing happened to me this morning on the way to work. Also on 40.2.1 which was updated a few days ago. I did a couple of resets with no luck. Made a service appointment for the 23rd.

Fast forward to end of day and it started working again. Car was parked from 9am to around 5pm. I'm going to keep my appointment just in case it happens again.

Pretty strange. I saw this post last night and thought to myself that it's never happened to me, then BOOM....first thing that happened when I got in the car today. Only have 800ish miles on the car though so not a large sample size.

it happened to me in early january 2020 and maybe was related to leaving the trunk open all night. it resolved itself after the car did a deep sleep/wake cycle and has not occurred again. service tech thought there were some software bugs related to this and the flurry of updates around the new year were related. then again he may have been talking about the FSD preview bugs rather than camera bugs per-se.

2020 Model Y, Delivered June 19. Reverse Camera stopped working. It's been "coming and going" multiple times today, evident watching the Sentry recordings, you can see the camera drop out, then come back an hour or two later. No camera when shifting into reverse either. Soft reboot AND hard reboot did not fix the issue. Sent bug report at the time one of them happened and support actually could see the issue in the logs, saying it was a loss of stream and they think it might be a wiring issue or bad camera. Ranger appointment set.

Software 2020.24.6.1 eefccf855c65

Here is a video of it "coming back online" via Sentry Recording. Interesting you can see the whole screen recordings flash right when it happens, and that's INSIDE THE RECORDING; almost like a power surge or something.