TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Backup camera with home link glitch

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by fizzazle, Feb 25, 2013.

1. fizzazle

fizzazle Member

Anyone else having their backup camera go blank while backing up b/c the home link screen comes up?

Im in an parking structure so my home link doesn't come on right away (as I imagine it would on a garage b/c of proximity)...it comes on as I approach the gate. I also have tandem parking and a tight parking garage so I have the unique privilege of having go reverse out of the garage. (Which is why the situation of home link popping up with backup camera popping up). .

glitch really is the best word b/c the backup camera goes blank for 1-2 seconds and then flashes back on.

Not a huge deal...but a glitch nonetheless....and I suppose 2 secs could still be dangerous....

2. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

I didn't realize the flicker happened when the Homelink widget expanded to show the button. Thanks for 'splaining! But mine goes blank--really, more like flickers or seems to repaint the camera part of the screen--for under a second; it's so quick I don't have time to react to it, really. If it happens for as long as 2 seconds for you, then I'd contact Tesla.

If you're concerned about accidentally hitting something, then use your mirrors or maybe just stop for 2 seconds? Does it happen reliably in the same exact spot, so you could anticipate it and pause before/just as it's happening? Just a thought.

Hope fully they're aware and will fix it; I didn't even think to report it but I'm going to e-mail Ownership to make sure they know.

3. fizzazle

fizzazle Member

Thanks for emailing ownership about this! Let me know what they say! Again...only 1-2 seconds so not too worried...but it's a glitch nonetheless and a little software update will likely do the trick.

4. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

My backup camera goes blank when I back out of my garage, it returns if I dismiss the drop down homelink buttons.

I find this annoying because I'm on the lookout for debris left in the driveway by the kids. I have to manually dismiss the homelink buttons and then drop them down again after I've backed up and ready to close the garage door.

5. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

I haven't heard back, but you should e-mail [email protected] yourself, BTW. I had to e-mail them a P.S. because actually, I paid more attention tonight, the Homelink drops down and that's not when I get the flicker/glitch; I get it a bit after that. So we may have slightly different issues. But I hope they fix both of them in a software update soon because I still do a double-take every time it happens, and your experience sounds much more annoying. ;-)

6. Owner

Owner Active Member

Any update on this issue? I find mine going blank and staying blank when I am near the garage. I was hosing off some pollen in the driveway and backing down without a camera because the homelink was on, trying to get me to open a garage door. I had not had this problem before with just regular use of the garage.

7. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

It looks like the camera video feed is done using a video-overlay, which is super-buggy. Sometimes it dissapears. Sometimes, it is in the wrong location (over the upper-half of the screen, while the "camera" app is in the lower). It's probably a driver-level issue.

8. Tesla229

Tesla229 Member

This appears to happen when the Homelink drop-down box appears. I find that if i touch the blank (black) screen, the video will reappear, and the drop-down will go away. I do this routinely now, at least until it's fixed.

9. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

I'm having a slightly different problem with my Homelink and Back up camera interaction. When I back out of my garage the video window is not moving down to accommodate the drop down home link screen so my bottom 2 Home Link buttons are covered by video and I cannot even close my garage door until I shift into drive.

There is a white outline box that normally frames the rear view video perfectly when you are not near your home dealing with Home Link. When I'm backing out of the driveway I can see that the white outline box drops down below the Home Link window but the video itself it not dropping down and therefore covering 2 of my 3 Home Link buttons.