TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Backup camera

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Sans Gas, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Sans Gas

Sans Gas Member

How does one judge actual distance from what is displayed ? It seems instead of "items appear closer than actual" we get items appear farther than actual.

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Depends. It's a fisheye lens, so the central portion of the image is shrunk down (therefore items appear farther than actual), whereas on the periphery of the image it's expanded, so items appear closer than actual. Just takes a little experience to get the sight picture down.

3. eelton

eelton Member

I find the camera pretty useless. Maybe when backup up to something parallel to the bumper, it's OK. But when approaching a wall or another car diagonally--like I do in my cramped parking garage--I have no idea when a corner of the car is about to hit something, so I still have to turn my head and look.

I suppose Tesla will eventually place guidelines on the image. I don't need the kind that move with the steering wheel, just some "your car ends here" static lines.

4. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Totally. I know how close I can get through a bit of experimentation with my open garage; when the bottom of the picture is about to touch the beginning of the lip of the garage opening, I stop. It gives me at least a couple of inches leeway, and the lip isn't where the door comes down anyway, but I like a little extra space. ;-)

I'm not sure the cameras are 100% consistent from car-to-car, though, so I believe everyone should do their own testing to figure their out.

- - - Updated - - -

(Of course I'm talking about a straight backup to an unmoving object.)

5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

If it looks too close STOP.

My basic theory of the backup camera.

6. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I use the mirrors' auto-tilt feature and the backup camera as different data points. Mirrors for parking lot lines, mirror for where the bumper is. Works fine, I miss it when driving my other car.

7. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

I actually find it very useful, when you are backing out of a parking spot and the car next to you prevents you from seeing ongoing traffic. Try it out, all you have to do is back out of your spot one or two feet and the camera shows when the road is all clear.

8. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

That is about all I use it for. I use the side mirrors and look out of the back to back into my garage, and into and out of parking spaces. It does help look 'around' that big pickup that parked next to you.

I do use it to know I am fully into my garage. There is an oil stain that just sits under my bumper. It means I have about 4" to spare up front. Perfect every time.

But honestly I don't use it other than those two situations. Looking out the back is much easier and clearer.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I was thinking of getting the Model S into the right position and then spray painting a line even with the middle of the back wheels. That way I could use the tilted mirrors to correctly position fore and aft.

10. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

Much prefer the LEAF camera. It has range lines and predictive path lines based on steering wheel position. Quite helpful.

11. eelton

eelton Member

Even better, the 2013 Leaf has a 360 degree camera.

2013-Nissan-Leaf-around-view-monitor-1024x640.jpg

12. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

The LEAF camera is a lot better.. Hopefully, we'll get a software upgrade one day that adds on the path lines.
    I use the visible rear bumper on the Model S camera as reference for the rear of the car... when backing up into a spot (for public J1772 charging) or parallel parking, it allows to reverse and back into a spot right up to the edge... it works for me.

13. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

I use the camera to position the car in my garage. The last mark on the floor that you can see with the camera leaves about six inches to the bumper. I've installed Race Deck flooring in my garage and the red tiles tell me where to park.

image.jpg

image.jpg

14. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

That is a great idea. I may have to swap out a few tiles...

15. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Has anyone tried putting Rain-X or something similar on the camera to help keep it clean when the roads are wet?

16. Zextraterrestrial

I tried it the first week but it didn't seem to help.

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

What about something like this, or this? Or there's the old tennis ball hanging from a string... when it touches your windshield, you're in the right spot.

18. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I did a heavy cleaning of the outside of my car on Saturday. Rain-Xed the rear camera. I don't think it will help too much, but will report back. It is supposed to rain for the next 3 days here. :crying:

19. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

It would require a hardware change, but Tesla should consider an "eyelid" that covers the rear lens when the backup camera isn't in use. The lens attracts dirt quickly. I hate wiping the grit off with a dry cloth, but I'm not quite yet ready to start carrying a little squirt bottle just to spritz the lens clean!

20. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

I have a laser system at my home very similiar to the one you linked to and it works great. It's powered off the light bulb socket on the garage door opener so it's only on for the 5 mins that the garage door light it on. It a great solution.