Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backwards Dual Zone AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

First time Tesla owner, I've never done much with a Tesla so I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong before going to my scheduled appointment in a few weeks with Tesla Service Center. I've got a brand new 2023 Model Y that I just picked up a few days ago and the dual zone AC appears to be backwards. If I set the drivers side to "HI" and the passenger side to "LOW", then the drivers side blows out very cold air and the passenger blows out hot air. It took me a bit to figure this out with my passenger as she was getting colder and colder and I was getting hotter and hotter until we realized we were controlling each others temperature. It's not just HI and LOW, it's all settings. If I set the driver to 64 and the passenger to 78 then the drivers side will blow out hot and passenger cold.

I've messed around with it, turned the car off overnight and then tested it in the morning to no avail. Sounds like it's something that I'll need to just wait for my appointment but wanted to check with people more informed than I on Teslas.

I just did a full power off via the infotainment and let it sit for about 5 minutes before turning it back on, unfortunately it is still doing the same thing. Sounds like it’s something the SC will need to investigate and fix.

So just got a call back from the Service Center, they stated after diagnosing it and testing it, it's a known firmware issue and the fix will be released via an OTA update with no ETA on when it'll be fixed. The temperature sensors are correct, so if I set the passenger side to 66 and the drivers side to 72 it overcompensates to try to bring the temps where they need to be, and it never does so it just gets worse and worse. The only solution is to keep it in single zone for now.

I'm not gonna lie, that's pretty shitty and it's causing a lot of issues with us taking it on road trips as we've had it for ~3 weeks and already have 1700 miles on it. I've never dealt with Tesla before, but having a car manufacturer say "Yeah it's a known issue but we have no ETA for the fix so you'll just have to deal with it" when it comes to something like the AC doesn't sit right with me. If it's in the next few weeks, cool I'll deal with it. But if it's in 6 months it's going to be extremely frustrating. Judging by no one else reporting this issue I'd venture to guess it's not a wide enough spread issue that's going to get a lot of attention.

Something feels off about Tesla's explanation that this is a known firmware issue. You'd expect to see others posting about this same issue. How can their firmware impact a single car? I know I'm new to the Tesla world, but that just feels like they are trying to buy some time or something.

Here's the exact wording from the invoice, doesn't inspire confidence that this is going to get fixed anytime soon:

Concern: Customer states: Heating & A/C - Driver and passenger settings are backwards. Setting drivers side to cold makes the passenger side cold and vice versa
Verified customer concern, reviewed vehicle logs found vehicle matches a known firmware characteristic with the vehicles current firmware version. Service Engineering is working on updated firmware that will change the current characteristic. Once this new firmware is validated it will be released to the fleet via over-the-air firmware update. There is no ETA when this firmware will be released or what firmware version it will be released with

Here's the exact wording from the invoice, doesn't inspire confidence that this is going to get fixed anytime soon:

Concern: Customer states: Heating & A/C - Driver and passenger settings are backwards. Setting drivers side to cold makes the passenger side cold and vice versa
Verified customer concern, reviewed vehicle logs found vehicle matches a known firmware characteristic with the vehicles current firmware version. Service Engineering is working on updated firmware that will change the current characteristic. Once this new firmware is validated it will be released to the fleet via over-the-air firmware update. There is no ETA when this firmware will be released or what firmware version it will be released with
I wouldn’t sweat it. I bet it is something related to RHD and LHD cars.

This thread reminded me of an issue I had with a Sony digital camcorder years ago. The stereo mics were swapped left & right so the audio was reversed in the recording. Took Sony a bit of time but they not only came out with a firmware fix for the camera but a utility to repair any recordings that had the left & right audio channels swapped.

Took the Tesla back in today for another issue and brought up the AC being swapped. I’m being told again that it’s a software issue and an update will come at some point in the future. It’s been 3 months so far and this is extremely frustrating given it’s such an expensive car and being told it’ll get fixed someday. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next year.
Shouldn’t there be others reporting this issue if it’s a known software issue? I haven’t seen anyone else report on this issue. Seriously considering going down the lemon law path.

I suppose you could set the temperature you like with the passenger setting, and she can set the temperature she likes with the driver's setting, and it would be reversed for your happiness until the software update comes out?
I wish it were that simple. The thermostats are correct on each side, so even setting them 1 degree difference makes them runaway as they’re constantly trying to get it back to what it’s set to. It’ll be set at 71, but reading 72 so it’ll turn the AC on, but then it gets to 73 because it’s actually blowing out heat so it tries harder, and so on and so forth until one side is very hot and the other very cold

I wish it were that simple. The thermostats are correct on each side, so even setting them 1 degree difference makes them runaway as they’re constantly trying to get it back to what it’s set to. It’ll be set at 71, but reading 72 so it’ll turn the AC on, but then it gets to 73 because it’s actually blowing out heat so it tries harder, and so on and so forth until one side is very hot and the other very cold
Oh, wow. OK I understand now why that would drive you crazy. I hope it gets resolved for you, I'd be pretty upset too if the A/C worked that way.