Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad AC Smell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Y had this issue a few weeks after delivery, at the beginning of summer '21. I was a new owner at the time and didn't have the luxury of knowing about these posts in TMC. As OP mentioned, the problem always goes away after a few minutes of full blast so it wasn't as annoying as could've been. I lived with it for the summer, and then the dry FL winter made the issue go away. That, was just a temporary reprieve as the smell has returned along with summer and humidity.

I scheduled a service appointment for it and was promptly given a cost estimate of $144 ($140 for the cabin filter replacement and the rest tax). I know some folks got their filters replaced at no cost (probably in the Model 3 threads), but I doubt I'll have similar luck. Will know either way tomorrow when mobile service gets here.
I just replaced mine yesterday - pretty easy job and the second time I've done it. 3rd time altogether as mobile service did the first. That's over 2 years and approx. 20K miles. Used these:

XTechnor Tesla Model 3 Model Y Air Filter HEPA 2 Pack with Activated Carbon Tesla Air Conditional Replacement Cabin Air Filter
Lubegard 96030 Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner

Cost $68.90 w/ tax and took about 30 - 45 minutes altogether with 15 minutes for the cleaner to work and running the fan for 5 minutes afterward. There are easy Youtube instructions and the tools come with the filters. If your a little handy it's a fairly easy task.

Reactions: mangrove79
I just replaced mine yesterday - pretty easy job and the second time I've done it. 3rd time altogether as mobile service did the first. That's over 2 years and approx. 20K miles. Used these:

XTechnor Tesla Model 3 Model Y Air Filter HEPA 2 Pack with Activated Carbon Tesla Air Conditional Replacement Cabin Air Filter

Cost $68.90 w/ tax and took about 30 - 45 minutes altogether with 15 minutes for the cleaner to work and running the fan for 5 minutes afterward. There are easy Youtube instructions and the tools come with the filters. If your a little handy it's a fairly easy task.
Thanks for the tips! I'll keep my appointment for this time to see if I can get lucky, but more importantly observe the technician so I can do this myself in the future. Will keep the link in my wishlist for future purchase. Yes, I'm decently handy and installed the auto-frunk myself a few months ago. I'm sure this is easier.

I got my car at the end of April '21 and by September my AC system stunk like a bag of dirty gym socks. Tesla replaced my filters and cleaned the evaporator coils for free (goodwill). I was told not to expect similar treatment should the problem recur.
It is not the car problem. it is the user problem and your stink will come back. There is no cure for this unless you do your part by running the fan only for 2-3 minutes and leave the car doors open after you park for 10-20 minutes to dry. Even then you will have molds in the evaporator area (no sun light, wet, dark environment)
Good news is you can actually access and clean the evaporator area in MY/M3 (not sure about MS/MX) by removing two cabin air filters.

nate704: Your "solution" proves that it is INDEED the car's problem, and not the user. I've never owned an automobile that would require that I follow your procedure, and I've owned many autos of all brands.
I think there is a flaw in your logic. It's similar to arguing over whose problem it is if you run out of power. Is it the car's fault for using it, or the user's fault for not monitoring and keeping it charged?

Since you have never had this problem, it may be due to location or driver's habits. Perhaps another driver in another location would have this problem with all their cars.

Personally, I do not have the problem at all on my 1 1/2 year old model 3. Nor do I have it on my 20 year old Acura TL. But I did have it on a '76 Camry I used to own (which was bought used, and driven by my son in college). So, maybe driver's habits on that car. Or luck.

My "flaw in my logic" has sustained me through multiple cars over 50 years, all of them in the drippy, damp, mildewy, moldy Northern VA/DC region. In the past 30 years, with "Auto" HVAC systems in Audis, Hondas, Toyotas, VWs, I've NEVER done anything except drive in "AUTO" mode to my destination, shut off the car, and exit the vehicle.

I'm hyper sensitive to odor of any kind, but especially mildew/mold, as I've been allergic since age 5. I've never even had to clean an evaporator.

I understand I'm a single data point, but I can't believe that there are many, if any, people that would do what you are recommending. I agree that it might be the best thing to do, with any automobile HVAC system, but I just don't think anyone will do it.

Thanks for keeping this civil.

I’ve actually had this in several cars over the years in Tucson so very dry. Hondas, Acuras, Infinity’s, and BMWs. Guess that’s why it didn’t surprise me in the MY. Sucks but it’s a simple fix and expect to do it each summer. No oil changes, etc.. so a little maintenance won’t kill me and I don’t need to waste time in the stealership.

The cardboard frame soaks up the drippings from the evaporator and is located too close to it. I think a plastic frame on the air filter would solve the problem.
I am going to have to retract part of my statement.

I changed out my filters and used the evaporator cleaner today. The frame of the original factory filter had sort of a "felt / spongy" (for lack of a better description) edge around the perimeter of the accordion filter material. It did look like it was very well made. I could see how it could absorb and retain moisture. I couldn't really smell anything, but who knows. I will post a few photos later today.

I am going to have to retract part of my statement.

I changed out my filters and used the evaporator cleaner today. The frame of the original factory filter had sort of a "felt / spongy" (for lack of a better description) edge around the perimeter of the accordion filter material. It did look like it was very well made. I could see how it could absorb and retain moisture. I couldn't really smell anything, but who knows. I will post a few photos later today.
8393280E-D77D-4B59-B154-9857AD504285.jpeg

Original filters with kick panel in background.

753A9EBD-D6EE-4377-8DE0-E5F0179EA0AE.jpeg

Upper right hand corner where "trap door" is.

DF7B8DC6-2519-4A00-B838-7E1EC503F8F7.jpeg

Soft material of the edge of the original filter.

2622840A-3015-4871-B375-8DADA9A0AE6F.jpeg

Sharper view of the kick panel removed.

4078551B-5F97-45B0-815B-C853C4F714E7.jpeg

Back side of new HEPA filter with charcoal embedded.

E5CBAFA7-51F0-4513-A653-734D7874388E.jpeg

Front side of the new HEPA filter.
9233E7C4-8E26-4A5E-86D6-9350A6FB1A6F.jpeg

Closer view of the edge of the original filter.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I wasn’t looking forward to the job, but it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be either. The new filter that was put in is a HEPA filter and it was on the expensive side but I’m hoping that I won’t have to do this again. I do wish the evaporator cleaner was a little bit larger sized – – it to seemed to run out rather quickly. It was only 6 ounces and only took about 10 seconds to release the entire contents. I didn't remove the speaker or foot light from the panel under the glovebox - but I just moved that whole panel forward and upward out of the way to install the filters.

Last edited:
I do wish the evaporator cleaner was a little bit larger sized – – it to seemed to run out rather quickly. It was only 6 ounces and only took about 10 seconds to release the entire contents.

Just for future reference, you might consider nexzett Klima Cleaner. It's the same type product as Kool-It, but comes in a 12.6 oz can. The price fluctuates on Amazon, but when demand is low (winter months), you can get it for $15-$16.

I did end up canceling my service appointment when the filter you recommended came that morning. While my past mobile service appt was very pleasant, I didn't want to end up having to pay $140 if the technician didn't feel charitable that day.

The work to replace the filters is actually very easy compared to most things you can do on a Tesla. I finished it in about 30 min like most people. The OEM filters that Tesla used did seem very simple and perhaps lower quality compared to the XTechnor ones, but OEMs typically are compared to specialized replacements.

The only mishap I would mention is that when you put the cap on the cleaner can (I used Klima), don't press down too hard. I made that mistake and half of the can bursted out through the tube all over my kitchen. It was dumb, I know.

I did end up canceling my service appointment when the filter you recommended came that morning. While my past mobile service appt was very pleasant, I didn't want to end up having to pay $140 if the technician didn't feel charitable that day.

The work to replace the filters is actually very easy compared to most things you can do on a Tesla. I finished it in about 30 min like most people. The OEM filters that Tesla used did seem very simple and perhaps lower quality compared to the XTechnor ones, but OEMs typically are compared to specialized replacements.

The only mishap I would mention is that when you put the cap on the cleaner can (I used Klima), don't press down too hard. I made that mistake and half of the can bursted out through the tube all over my kitchen. It was dumb, I know.
Yeah, I was extra careful with that. Next time I’ll get the Nextzett Klima-cleaner for sure - more product.