Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad accident in Berkeley

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
[Posted this in the Model 3 forum too]

Just passed it. Police were not on the scene yet. Many cars stopped but the only one that looked wrecked was a TM3 that had rolled its drivers side wheels under the car and it was sitting tilted at an extreme angle with the passenger side much higher up. Many people were gathered around looking like they were trying to get people out.

Just past this point the cement center divide was smashed up. Like something had come through, though maybe not as big as a Model 3.

I don’t know what I was looking at as we all crawled by and my dash cam didn’t save the minute I passed the accident, dang it. Perhaps it will be on the news but I am REALLY curious what happened and why.

• Informative
Reactions: goldengate
This is the photo I took of the accident off my Dash Cam, but when I was posting earlier on my iPhone I was unable to get back to this moment in the dashcam footage. But it doesn't look impossible to tell what's going on, I was just hoping to see the center divide damage.

IMG_1591.jpeg

That's a Sprinter van stopped behind the accident, like 9 people poured out onto the freeway, not helping much. Looks like the passenger side wheels were still on the ground, so the angle the car was at mush have been from the driver's side wheels being buckled under.

I watched the channel 2 news until midnight and no reports.

[Posted this in the Model 3 forum too]

Just passed it. Police were not on the scene yet. Many cars stopped but the only one that looked wrecked was a TM3 that had rolled its drivers side wheels under the car and it was sitting tilted at an extreme angle with the passenger side much higher up. Many people were gathered around looking like they were trying to get people out.

Just past this point the cement center divide was smashed up. Like something had come through, though maybe not as big as a Model 3.

I don’t know what I was looking at as we all crawled by and my dash cam didn’t save the minute I passed the accident, dang it. Perhaps it will be on the news but I am REALLY curious what happened and why.
This was I-80?

So not to ignite the flames of what should be news vs non-news, but just a few days after this thread, my wife told me about another local accident a few miles from our house at Saratoga and 85 (in Saratoga), involving a white Tesla. Sadly both occupants of the Tesla, a 75-year-old man and 70-year-old woman, ultimately died. It's locally newsworthy, since the accident was fairly dramatic and fatal, not because it involved a Tesla per se.

And maybe not newsworthy across even the entire Bay area, just around the surrounding neighborhoods. But oddly, the only two articles that came up about it were one from the primary regional paper (San Jose Merc), and this one from Daily Mail in the UK? The UK article actually has more detail, including pictures of the Tesla in flames on the embankment:

California Tesla crash killed man, 75, and injured five others | Daily Mail Online